Thread: AOA Page and Record Buttons with AF-4500 Option

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

AOA Page and Record Buttons with AF-4500 Option

Are the external Page and Record buttons needed when the AOA option is used with an AF-4500? Are these two buttons available as soft keys on the EFIS or is calibration done another way with the AF-4500 + AOA? I see a calibration checklist in the latest AF-4500 Manual, but could not find info on these buttons in the Manual or on the schematic.

Thanks!

No the buttons are on the EFIS rather than external. If you follow the Calibration Checklist in the manual, it will take you to the correct menu with the Page and Record buttons.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems
    Support@Advanced-Flight-Systems.com

Yesterday I was up flying and attempted to calibrate my AOA. I have a 3500EE with AOA built in, non "S" cpu version.
    Anyway, I had the Calibration checklist with me, and noticed that when I got to the cruise section of the checklist at the "Confirm flap up" line, that instead of it reading "0OL" it displayed "1OL"
    if I paged through the order every one had a "1" in front of it instead of the zero. Also if I follow the checklist it reads as follows. 0OL, 0AA, 0SA and then onto the landing page has 1OL, then 1AA and 1SA. On my EFIS the first one that showed up was 10L, then 1AA, then 1AP, then 1PF, then 1SA.

Since these were totally different from what was on the checklist i decided to postpone the rest of the calibration procedure.
    Can you confirm I have the correct checklist dated 09/07 rev2.

I will try to give you guys a call next week when everyone is back from the New Years celebrations .

The first digit is a 0 or a 1 which indicates the configuration of the aircraft (flaps up or flaps down). Flaps up configuration is the 0OL, 0AA, OSA and the Flaps Down configuration (landing config) is 1OL, 1AA, and 1SA. The green donut should be lighting up with you have the flaps down and it should disappear when the flaps are up. Can you confirm the functionality of the green donut on your AOA display? If it is not working, did you install a flap switch per the instructions?
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems

Yes, I have the flap switch installed and the green donut works as it should with flaps going up and down. I'll be sure to double check it again tomorrow at the hangar.

What are the AP and PF configurations ?

If the green donut is working, the AOA cal should function properly. Retract the flaps to the UP position. When you press AOA -> AOA CAL, it should show 0OL (0 G maneuver - 0 lift). You perform the 0 G maneuver and press RECORD. It automatically advances to 0AA (0 Angle of Attack), perform the descending 1.15 Vs1 maneuver and press RECORD. Press PAGE twice to skip 0AP and 0PF. You can manually calculate and set the Approach and Performance angles, but we do it for you (in software) and it is probably more accurate. When it says 0SA (Save), press RECORD to save the calibration.

Next, with the Flaps in the down position (or whatever setting you use on short final), press AOA -> AOA CAL. It should show 1OL (0G maneuver with flaps down). Perform the same maneuver as done previously and then press RECORD. It automatically advances to 1AA, perform the descending 1.15 Vs1 maneuver and press RECORD. Press PAGE twice to skip 1AP and 1PF. When it says 1SA, press RECORD to save the changes.

That should do it!
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems

I'm having trouble with calibrating the AOA in my 4500. I have a pot and the flap position displays OK.
    When i go through the first two settings, zero G and slow decent everything goes according to the intructions in the manual. However, after the 0AA page is recorded and i push the page button twice I do not get the anticipated "0SA" (save) page, I get something else. Unfortunately I didn't write down exactly what I do get but whatever it was I tried it several times in the air and then again on the ground. I cannot get the "0SA" page. Am I doing something wrong?

The AOA Calibration page order is:

0OL Zero Lift (zero G's)

0AA Angle Advisory (15% above stall)

0AP Approach AOA (Normal Landing)

0PF Performance ( Best Glide)

0SA Save
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

I'll check again tomorrow but I'm pretty sure this is what I was expecting but wasn't getting.

I doubled checked it on a screen.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.