Thread: PFD backup?

PFD backup?

Just had to pull my 5600 pfd to send in for repair and no surprise realizing i can’t legally or safely fly without it. No engine parameters, transponder, fuel gauges primarily. I have nav and comm backup. Is there a way to get my other displays set up to receive engine, fuel, transponder data via current disconnected cables? Is it a matter of adding engine “board” to another display for engine data? That would be a major hurdle to to overcome having that option in the future if ever needed.
    Last edited by rvdave; 11-03-2023 at 09:47 AM.
    Dave Ford
    RV10

To Add to the question Please. Assuming this is an older AFS system with an internal engine monitor and you are dead in the water? What if a later version with the Dynon EMS is used, can the EMS box be routed to either EFIS and just change the serial port?

Thanks, Larry

We are no longer installing internal engine boards in EFIS displays. If your other displays are also AF-5000 touchscreen models, then the solution is to upgrade to the SV-EMS-220 and have an engine monitor that all screens can independently talk to.

Sounds like what I will do. Looking at installation manual, it looks like 37 and 25 pin connectors will simply unplug from efis to ems-220? Does each screen connect via Skyview hub? Do I need to remove engine board from efis, or does something still need to connect to 37 pin connector at efis?
    Last edited by rvdave; 11-04-2023 at 06:49 AM.
    Dave Ford
    RV10

Quote Originally Posted by rvdave View Post
    Sounds like what I will do. Looking at installation manual, it looks like 37 and 25 pin connectors will simply unplug from efis to ems-220? Does each screen connect via Skyview hub? Do I need to remove engine board from efis, or does something still need to connect to 37 pin connector at efis?
    I switched to the sv-ems when I upgraded from 4500s to 5500s about six years ago. If my memory is correct, it was a pretty easy upgrade. I think there were only one or two sensor wires that had to be changed. The docs were pretty good at explaining the tasks to upgrade.

I can’t answer if you have to remove the current board. It depends if the menu allows you to select which ema to use.

Yes, both efis and the sv-ems have to be on the sv-network. Whichever efis you run the sv-network scan on, that efis becomes the sv-network master. It’s pretty easy to swap efis, you just re-scan on the other efis. However, you may need to adjust some of the device configurations.

If you still have the af-arinc, you may also want to consider upgrading to the sv-arinc at the same time.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Thanks for the info Bob, sounds like this will be a good upgrade.
    Dave Ford
    RV10