Thread: ADSB Nuisance audio "Traffic" warnings

ADSB Nuisance audio "Traffic" warnings

Hello,

I have this week hardwired a PilotAware (https://www.pilotaware.com/) unit into EI-EEO. It has ADSB traffic reception amongst its many capabilities. I have successfully connected it to the EFIS using one of the serial ports set to ADSB 115k.

The EFIS picks up the PilotAware Traffic and displays it correctly. Only issue is that it incessantly reports an audio "Traffic" warning - this may be because the EFIS is receiving traffic that has no bearing or range data (raw Mode C/S Transponder signals). See real example here that the EFIS was reporting as "Traffic". This was the only traffic the PilotAware was picking up at the time, and the EFIS was reporting an audio "Traffic" alert. The only way to stop the "Traffic" alert was to break the Tx GDL90 data stream from PilotAware.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/bEdAAyG78d6aCtYK7

Q1. Is there a way to filter the audio "Traffic" warning for this scenario?
    Q2. If I cannot filter, can I disable the warning, or outright delete the audio file?

Secondly and related, on the EFIS I see some NULL data showing up behind the self yellow aircraft ICON. See below photo for a maxed zoom of what it looks like. In this maxed zoom level, the Yellow Circle and two sets of noughts are not stationary, they are moving forward slightly in a cyclical manner, starting from behind/underneath the aircraft icon every three seconds or so.
    Could this NULL traffic data be caused by traffic data records received that have null fields for bearing and range? i.e. the Mode S traffic shown above?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rC1yYnUPxN4WFiaV9

Q3. Is there a way to filter this out, as I am about to resize my aircraft ICON (make it smaller), and this NULL traffic signal around it will be a distraction.

I am in contact with PilotAware about this to see if it does indeed Tx all Traffic types as shown above and if so, whether it can be filtered in some fashion.

The reason I am going to all this trouble is that AFS is now supporting Airmate mapping/charts & plates and I have just purchased a subscription from them - though I am having issues with this too that Ken Chard is working directly with Airmate. Another topic

Thank you for your help,

Andrew.
    RV 7
    EI-EEO

A1: Not without new software. And my guess is there are probably good reasons to err on the side of caution and give you a traffic alert even when the threat picture is incomplete.
    A2: Traffic audio warning can be disabled (separate from the visual display) from the EFIS --> TRFC SND button.
    A3: This looks like an "ownship ghost", which is usually caused by a non-performing ADS-B "out" solution not properly transmitting your transponder hex code and flight ID/tail number such that your ADS-B "in" receiver doesn't know who you are to filter out the ownship.

Thankyou Jonathon.

Glad to know I can disable the audio. I will still get audio from the PilotAware, so disabling on the EFIS is okay.
    I'll double check the ICAO code is entered correctly in the PilotAware and that my transponder is functioning correctly too.

Andrew.