Thread: AF5600 plus AF3400 serial ports

AF5600 plus AF3400 serial ports

Hello,

I have a AFS5600 with the serial ports all used. It would be nice to have transponder remote controller, radio controller, vpx, autopilot and GPS / Arinc.
    I am planning to fit a AF3500 nonS in order to try to use the maximum devices I can.

As I understood I can not move the transponder SV-XPNDR-261 or the radio Trig to the AF3500, since it does not support.
    It seams that the VPX can go to the AF3400, right?
    Have a GPS/2020 aerial, can I connect it to the AF3400?

As I saw on other posts, the Arinc, Trutrak AP and GNS430 need all be connected to one unit. If I could move this to the AF3400 I would free 3 ports on the AF5600. Question is, it would work all as it should like the AP, can I activate the module on the AF5600, the information would be transmitted via network to the AF3400 and to the Trutrak?

Thanks,
    Filipe

None among the XPNDR 261, VP-X, or GPS-2020 products can interface with a 3500 non-S. VP-X only works with an S processor upgraded 3400/3500 or AF-4500, the other products will not work with any 3/4000 series EFIS.

Assuming by Trig radio you mean the Dynon SV-COM with a Trig remote transceiver, this also is not compatible with the 3500. It should also be noted that the SV-COM communicates with the EFIS over the SkyView network, and so does not consume a serial port. You do need a second generation AF-5600 with touchscreen and OS5 software to be able to interface with SkyView avionics.

Technically yes it is possible to rewire the AF-ARINC, Trutrak, and GNS430 Aviation outputs to a 3500 non-S, however, this is not recommended. We have observed problems with receiving flightplans from ARINC connected devices on multi-generational EFIS systems where it is the older EFIS that is talking to the navigator.

Assuming you have a touch AF-5600 and can equip SkyView devices, then the easiest way by far to free up two serial ports is to replace the AF-ARINC adapter with a SkyView SV-ARINC-429 adapter. The SV-ARINC would eliminate both the serial port wired to the AF-ARINC and the serial port from the 430W, which would get relocated to the SV-ARINC adapter.

Hello Jonathon,

Thank you for your answer. Yes, I have a touch AF5600 but not the version with SV. In fact the advantage of my version is that it talks directly with the 912is engine which I think if I do the upgrade to the SV network I loose that capability.

Thank you,
    Filipe