Thread: Coolant alarm

Coolant alarm

We just had our annual completed which included oil change, rebuilding carburetors, changing rubber hoses, check valve replacements etc.

When starting the engine we now get a Coolant red alert on the lower left corner of the AF-5500 and the main EFIS LED is lit up red.

Any idea what this might be?

I couldn't find anything about Coolant Alarm in either the AF-5000 Pilot Guide V16 or the Install Manual V15.1

Sounds like a low coolant temp warning. What is your coolant temp reading on startup? What is your Red Low At value set to in the SET --> CAL --> Coolant Temp menu?

Jonathon, I will look.

Obviously the coolant temperature will be low on startup. Is there some kind of warning suppression during startup or should we expect a warning every time we start up until coolant warms up?

We have an oil temperature gauge which goes green at 120F, but that is not the 'coolant'. We have two CHT gauges which I believe really measure the coolant temperature not the actual cylinder head temperature. Are you talking about the CHT gauge?

Harold you are alleging that you have a coolant warning on your EFIS, which ipso facto means that you have a coolant temperature gauge enabled. Did your A&P make any configuration changes to the EFIS during this annual? A misconfiguration of settings is certainly one possible explanation as to why you are getting a warning now that you weren't before.

Do you have a 912ULS or a 912iS? With a ULS water jacket temperature is indeed reported on the EFIS as a pair of "CHT" temperatures, and for these engines the separate coolant temp gauge should be turned off.
    With a 912iS the Rotax ECU reports this value to the EFIS properly as coolant temperature, and it is displayed as coolant temperature on the EFIS.
    Last edited by Jonathon; 10-12-2022 at 04:37 PM. Reason: sp

Jonathon,

Thanks for the quick reply.

You said, "...you have a coolant warning on your EFIS, which ipso facto means that you have a coolant temperature gauge enabled"

Actually since the manual only had two references to coolant at all, one said 'temperature' and the other said 'pressure' so I wasn't sure whether the coolant warning meant pressure or temperature. Now I know it must be the temperature.

"Did your A&P make any configuration changes to the EFIS during this annual?" No, he is not familiar with AFS systems and did not touch it.

"Do you have a 912ULS or a 912iS?" Actually we have a 914 turbo, but from your description it sounds identical to that of the 912ULS, which is what I believe the 914 is, only with turbo added.

Therefore, based on the above information, does it seem to you that we need to have the 'separate coolant temp gauge' turned off? How can this be done, via the CAL menu? Note that we only recently were able to get the pair of CHT gauges to show up in the display and you correctly identified that it was a software bug fixed by a more recent software load. Perhaps the coolant alarm came when we turned on the CHT gauges?

Hal

An annunciator warning related to your "CHT" gauges would present as a CHT warning, not coolant. You can turn off the coolant temp gauge in the SET --> CAL --> Coolant temp menu. Set instrument ON/OFF to OFF, and make sure to SAVE before backing out of the menu.

Jonathon, I did turn off the coolant temperature gauge as per your instructions. The EFIS now is operating as before and monitoring the oil and CHT temperatures everything looks normal. So the alarm was a false alarm since the gauge should never have been enabled.

How the gauge got turned ON is a mystery, however perhaps it is related to how our CHT gauge spontaneously turned itself OFF back in May. http://advanced-flight-systems.com/f...-Not-Displayed