Thread: Overly sensitive AOA audible alarm - Calibration on Searey

Overly sensitive AOA audible alarm - Calibration on Searey

We did the full AOA Calibration routine outlined in v16 of the AF-5000 Pilot Guide. We do have the AOA tones turned on.

For the most part it works fine but is a little sensitive and premature in the initial beeping warning. It goes off long before the Angle, Angle, Push alert.

Particularly, continuous AOA beeping occurred when we were at 10,000 ft cruising at steady altitude at 75% power (5,000 rpm) in a Rotax 914.

We had to turn off the audible alarm or it would have beeped for hours of flying.

a) Should we recalibrate with perhaps something lower than 15% of Vs1?

b) Or should we manually tweak the settings from our last calibration?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Roberts View Post
    For the most part it works fine but is a little sensitive and premature in the initial beeping warning. It goes off long before the Angle, Angle, Push alert.
    This is expected behavior. Beeping AOA is designed to begin at approach AOA of 1.4 Vs. The "angle, angle, push" alert is designed to trigger at 1.15 Vs. Since early detection of a problem is often the key to prevention, the point of beeping AOA is that you will have more granular information available to you across a wider range of the performance envelope.

Particularly, continuous AOA beeping occurred when we were at 10,000 ft cruising at steady altitude at 75% power (5,000 rpm) in a Rotax 914.
    Your SeaRey is a relatively low power, high drag design, The published cruise speed of your aircraft is only 2.1 Vs1. I would think with the turbo you should be doing a bit better than this, but sustained level flight at roughly 1.4 Vs1 at 10,000 feet still sounds like it's in the ballpark.

a) Should we recalibrate with perhaps something lower than 15% of Vs1?
    b) Or should we manually tweak the settings from our last calibration?
    If you are satisfied with the AOA performance other than the described problem, try manually increasing the Approach CP (cruise) value a few units at a time until you no longer get the beeping in cruise flight.

"If you are satisfied with the AOA performance other than the described problem..." Actually, we find that the AOA is too sensitive when landing and taking off too. I would like to incrementally desensitize it until suits our needs. In that case, how would you suggest we adjust the CAL settings? I photographed the latest settings just hours ago for your reference.Name:  AOA Settings July 2022.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  78.7 KB
    Last edited by Harold Roberts; 07-08-2022 at 03:38 PM.

You should probably try recalibration then. There is a good video here made by a customer which outlines the whole process:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AcYi3v_qmk

If your main concern is that it beeps too much, increasing the "alert tone start bar" to 18 or 19 should be enough to keep it at bay when you are cruising at 10,000. I'm not sure what you mean by too sensitive during takeoff and landing. You should be getting beeping during these critical phases of flight when your AOA will be highest. If you don't want to hear beeping while you are rolling down the runway or water, lower the landing warning override value a skosh until this behavior stops.

Jonathon, thanks! I'm sure one or the other of these will address our issues. Appreciate the support.

Update: I changed the "alert tone start bar" to 18 and it seems to have reduced the onset of the beeping. Haven't been able to test at 10,000' however.