Thread: AOA AF-5000 menu settings explanations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

AOA AF-5000 menu settings explanations

I always get AOA warning during the take off run before rotation and after. Which parameter in the AOA menu do I need to adjust and in which direction. I did not find an explanation in the manual or might have missed it. Can anyone provide help.
    Regards
    Michael

SET --> CAL --> AOA. Change "Landing Warning Override" to your stall speed.

Name:  Do not use flap angle sensor.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  23.2 KB
    The landing warning override is in psf, I assume pounds per square foot not in airspeed. See attachment.
    Is the stall speed really supposed to be substituted for the number 8?
    Last edited by Harold Roberts; 07-08-2022 at 07:39 AM.

I changed the Lining override from 53 to 52

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon View Post
    SET --> CAL --> AOA. Change "Landing Warning Override" to your stall speed.
    Hi Jonathon,
    I had the speed set at 53 kts and changed it now to 52kts, not sure if that will solve it but I'll report back asap. See attached my AOA config screen.

Regards
    Michael
    Name:  AOA CONFIG.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  80.5 KB

It is not. Michael has an SV-ADAHRS, and with this equipment the landing warning override is expressed in IAS. For displays with internal airdata computers and wing AOA ports, the value is expressed in wing PSF, and 8.0 PSF is the default value.

Hi Jonathon, I still get the warnings during take off run. Das Landing Warning Override (KTS) mean that the warning should not appear below 52 knots?

Kind Regards
    Michael

That is correct. Do you have or can you make and share a cockpit video of your takeoff run?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon View Post
    That is correct. Do you have or can you make and share a cockpit video of your takeoff run?
    Hello Jonathon,

I uploaded a take off video on YouTube you can hear the warning going off at 50-52 KIAS.

https://youtu.be/YCGB2t8s4-Y

Let me know in case you can see the video.

Kind Regards
    Michael
    Last edited by Michael; 09-25-2022 at 06:58 AM.

While I agree that the angle advisory is coming on a tiny bit before you hit 52 knots, it's close enough so as to be essentially negligible, and close enough to be clearly correlated with the 52 kts value you entered for the landing warning override.

Now as to why it is coming on above 52 kts, we have data to suggest that the buildup of air pressure from ground effect can cause slight errors on both the downward facing AOA port, and sometimes even slight errors on the static derived VSI and altimeter readings. As such, your AOA may be reading higher than you would expect for driving the aircraft down the runway at a relatively nose low attitude. While we can see from your video that the AOA display is active on your PFD screen, the resolution is too low for us to see what your actual AOA is.

So then, the system is ultimately doing what it was designed to do, and warn you of an incipient stall from the best data available to it. That said, because 1) it's distracting to get this warning rolling down the runway 2) you are already well-aware you are near to a stall during takeoff and 3) the potential for misleading data owing to ground effect, we have made a change in the latest EFIS internal development software branch which adds a context-aware threshold to the AOA audio. More than a simple airspeed based cutoff, this more sophisticated threshold disables the angle alert until the EFIS determines that you are both airborne and just above ground effect. Provided that flight testing continues to be favorable, this feature update should make it into the next public AF-5/6000 software release.