Thread: AF-Pilot Max Airspeed issues

AF-Pilot Max Airspeed issues

I have the flat pack AF-Pilot Autopilot coupled to a 5600T EFIS display in my RV-10. Lately I have been getting the Max Airspeed warning when flying on the autopilot in what seems like random airspeeds nowhere near the Max AS value set within the EFIS. The Max AS value is currently set to 180 (Set -> AP/FD -> MAXSPD). I've tried setting it as high as 190 (95% of Vne) and as low as 165 (initial value). It seems the warning for Max AS pops up at times when the AC is in the 160-170 kts range even in straight and level flight. I'm assuming it is using the TAS value? Indicated is typically much lower anyway. Forget trying to descend using the AP.

If I press and hold the AP button on the Autopilot control head to access the lateral setup menu I do not see a value for MAX AS like the AFS-Pilot installation manual suggests. I just assumed that this version of the AP using the firmware for the AF-Pilot removed it?

Is there another setting I am missing?
    Ben Westfall
    N104EE - RV-10

Ben,
    I'm no expert here but my understanding is the Autopilot will increase pitch as needed in order to keep the plane below Vno.

-Craig

Quote Originally Posted by benwestfall View Post
    I have the flat pack AF-Pilot Autopilot coupled to a 5600T EFIS display in my RV-10. Lately I have been getting the Max Airspeed warning when flying on the autopilot in what seems like random airspeeds nowhere near the Max AS value set within the EFIS. The Max AS value is currently set to 180 (Set -> AP/FD -> MAXSPD). I've tried setting it as high as 190 (95% of Vne) and as low as 165 (initial value). It seems the warning for Max AS pops up at times when the AC is in the 160-170 kts range even in straight and level flight. I'm assuming it is using the TAS value? Indicated is typically much lower anyway. Forget trying to descend using the AP.

If I press and hold the AP button on the Autopilot control head to access the lateral setup menu I do not see a value for MAX AS like the AFS-Pilot installation manual suggests. I just assumed that this version of the AP using the firmware for the AF-Pilot removed it?

Is there another setting I am missing?

I think you are correct. I watched it closer on todays flight and it was bumping against Vno in cruise flight at or below 8500ft. Higher up it isn't an issue because indicated is quite a bit less. Not sure why I didn't know/realize this.

Thanks!
    Ben Westfall
    N104EE - RV-10