Thread: ADS-B Traffic Warning on PFD?

ADS-B Traffic Warning on PFD?

Is it possible to set the AF-5500 to alert like Foreflight when ADS-B has traffic in close proximity? We always use the AF-5500 in PFD mode without the map. Foreflight has a nice feature that pops up a warning such as 'Traffic at 10 o'clock ....' when it decides the vector of another plane is coming too close. However the Foreflight iPad is in front of the right seat and harder to see from the left seat where the AF-5500 is.

Haven't gotten answer here. Does the AF-5500 have ANY way to alert when ADS-B traffic is considered close? Either graphically or audibly?

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Roberts View Post
    Haven't gotten answer here. Does the AF-5500 have ANY way to alert when ADS-B traffic is considered close? Either graphically or audibly?
    Yes, both.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Quote Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
    Yes, both.
    I have searched ADS-B in the AF-5000v16 pilot guide. There are 48 mentions of ADS-B and nothing about alerts, either audible nor graphical and I'm certainly not getting either.

Therefore, could you elaborate on where you would go to set these alerts? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Roberts View Post
    I have searched ADS-B in the AF-5000v16 pilot guide. There are 48 mentions of ADS-B and nothing about alerts, either audible nor graphical and I'm certainly not getting either.

Therefore, could you elaborate on where you would go to set these alerts? Thanks.
    Take a look at page 65.

What source is providing adsb data? (I.e. sv-adsb/ 472) Do you have synthetic vision turned on? Are you getting other audio alerts from your EFIS? Is your EFIS audio out connected to your intercom?
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Quote Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
    Take a look at page 65.

What source is providing adsb data? (I.e. sv-adsb/ 472) Do you have synthetic vision turned on? Are you getting other audio alerts from your EFIS? Is your EFIS audio out connected to your intercom?
    Thank you for the reply and reference to page 65. (Illustrates how a word search alone doesn't always bring the results you expect.)

On the alert questions: We are getting audio alerts from the EFIS, specifically gear warning alerts and AOA alerts and they go out the intercom. But your question about the ADS-B source gets to the crux of the matter.

I had assumed that ADS-B traffic was getting to the EFIS but we didn't see it because we didn't use the map view. However page 65 shows that it should be visible in the PDF view. Therefore, I'm not sure we *have* a source providing ADS-B data to the AF-5500. Here is my configuration:

EFIS: AF-5500 - connected to iPad via Wi-Fi and Garmin aera 796 via RS-232? (the AF and 796 are definitely connected somehow as a flight plan can be transferred)
    ADS-B Receiver - GDL-39 with RS-232 and Bluetooth outputs
    Weather/Map - Garmin aera 796 - which gets ADS-B from the GDL-39.
    iPad/Foreflight - Connects to AF-5500 via Wi-Fi and the GDL-39 via Bluetooth

I had assumed that the EFIS must get ADS-B in from the Garmin aera 796 since if a flight plan can be exchanged, wouldn't the ADS-B traffic also be exchanged? Or maybe the EFIS gets ADS-B from the GDL-39 via RS-232?

Is the AF-5500 compatible with the GDL-39? Would it be expected that the AF-5500 would get the ADS-B via RS-232 like the Garmin or would it be expected that RS-232 would only go to the Garmin aera?

AF-5000 cannot talk to a GDL39 as Garmin will not share their proprietary, encrypted ADS-B protocol with third parties. Unless you're Foreflight/Boeing, it seems. If you want ADS-B in on the EFIS you will need to add an ADSB 472 receiver to a free EFIS serial port.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon View Post
    AF-5000 cannot talk to a GDL39 as Garmin will not share their proprietary, encrypted ADS-B protocol with third parties. Unless you're Foreflight/Boeing, it seems. If you want ADS-B in on the EFIS you will need to add an ADSB 472 receiver to a free EFIS serial port.
    Jonathon, thank you! This prevents me from going down that particular rat hole.