Thread: Engine CHT Gauge Not Displayed

Engine CHT Gauge Not Displayed

I think I have a solution to this but it doesn't make sense.

We lost the CHT gauge for our PFD and looked at both the AF-5000 User Guide and Installation manuals. Why the display was lost we do not know. I went to the Calibration settings and and the CHT was turned on. The temperatures could be seen in the calibration menu. But the gauge did not appear on the PFD. I do not believe we have EGT sensors and that seemed confirmed because it did not show temperature values.

For a lark, I turned on the EGT anyway and lo and behold! The gauge showed on my PFD. This makes no sense. Why do I have to turn on an non-existent EGT to get the CHT gauge to display.

Also, in the Install Manual there is a line 12 in the CHT configuration that allows you to select the engine to be a Rotax, which is what we have. Yet in my CHT config view (see photo) there is no line 12 or 11 but rather it ends with line 10. How do I configure to use the Rotax setting?

Name:  IMG_2551.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  21.0 KBName:  IMG_2552.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  21.0 KBName:  IMG_2553.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  22.2 KB

We have reproduced your problem with the CHT not displaying unless EGT is turned on. We will get this investigated. Until the bug is fixed, continue to leave the EGT instrument turned on so you can have CHT displays

The user interface has changed a bit since that section of the manual was written. Go to SET --> CAL --> Admin Settings --> Administrator Mode. Enter 1010 as the code. Go back to the Configure CHT menu and you will now see a choice of sensors between thermocouples and the resistive CHT sensors used with Rotax engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon View Post
    We have reproduced your problem with the CHT not displaying unless EGT is turned on. We will get this investigated. Until the bug is fixed, continue to leave the EGT instrument turned on so you can have CHT displays

The user interface has changed a bit since that section of the manual was written. Go to SET --> CAL --> Admin Settings --> Administrator Mode. Enter 1010 as the code. Go back to the Configure CHT menu and you will now see a choice of sensors between thermocouples and the resistive CHT sensors used with Rotax engines.
    Jonathon, is there a new installation manual with the correct instructions?

Any idea how our CHT would disappear? I am guessing it happened after a recent update of the software we loaded since we certainly never went into the EGT menu and turned it off.
    Last edited by Harold Roberts; 05-18-2022 at 07:53 AM.

The CHT and EGT displays are overlaid on top of one another, it is well within possibility that a bug in the code is causing neither to display when only one is turned off. That is the prevailing theory, and it will be investigated.

Jonathon, is the CHT EGT bug fixed in the latest update, v16.09.15?

Appears to be, I've tried a few different engine types with both SV-EMS and internal EMS hardware settings, and have thus far failed to recreate this problem on 16.9.15 with any of them.

Jonathan, finally installed new software v16.09.15 and you are correct, it fixed the bug.

Thanks for the help.