Thread: AFS5600 Data Update Options?

AFS5600 Data Update Options?

Is there any other location to get Data Updates for the AFS5600 besides Seattle Avionics? Their Data Manager software is garbage. I am looking for Approach Plates, Low Altitude IFR Charts, and Sectional Charts. It would also be great if where whomever has the updates if they were MAC friendly.

Having SA Data for a few years now I found a way to lesson my frustration. This not an endorsement, just some comments that might help. I don't know of a replacement, if one is out there please let us know. So...Regarding the PC, it seems like many downloads for a lot of avionics (not all) are set to work best with a PC so quite a few of us have acquired PC laptops some a used older one for free or little money just for this purpose. Absolutely helped with the frustration.
    Regarding the Download manager.... Make sure it is for the V-16 AFS software (has the a visible box checked) and once you install the USB and touch the UPDATE NOW, walk away and let it do it's thing. Now and then it will appear to stop and the UPDATE NOW box will reappear, if you see that, it is probably lying to you ignore it because if you push it, it will start over. Walk away for an hour and it probably will meet expectations. I don't like the way it works either but it has improved since a new company has purchased it.
    If someone had told me a few years ago what I just shared with you, I would have less gray hair. Good Luck, Larry

SA Data Manager takes a little getting used to, but once you get acquainted with the software it is quite a simple and easy download process. For sure the best bang for the buck out there.

I only got into the Advanced system this past December. Creating the Seattle Avionics account gave me a bit of heartburn, but that was probably my own fault. I use an old PC that my wife discarded as 'useless'. I bought 2 of the "compact" thumb drives. I leave one plugged into my computer at all times. With the S.A. data manager running in the background, it always has the most current data downloaded and installed on the thumb drive. When I see that a new release is available, I confirm that the new data is on the drive and I swap the computer thumb drive with the one in the plane.
    I'm by no means very "tech savvy", but I can't imagine an easier system. I literally just swap drives and the system stays current.

Yesterday, I got email notification that data updates were available. Today, I pulled up the data manager and found that the new data had been downloaded and loaded into the thumb drive in the computer. I pulled the thumb drive from the PC, walked to the plane and swapped drives. The Advanced 5600 now has the new data. I plugged the #2 thumb drive into the PC, where it will be updated when appropriate. Really couldn't be much easier.