Thread: How to set negative numbers for Amperage limits and alerts?

How to set negative numbers for Amperage limits and alerts?

Name:  Shunt_Amp_Configuration.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  21.5 KB

When in the Calibration screen, I cannot set negative numbers. I want to lower the yellow and red thresholds from -2A (yellow) and -5A (red) to what is recommended by the Searey manufacturer Progressive Aerodyne:

+20A and over RED OVERVOLTAGE
    -10A to +20A GREEN
    -15A to -10A YELLOW
    -20A to -15A RED

How can I set a negative number? There is no +/- sign and when you use the up/down arrows it stops at zero and does not go into negative numbers.

OR.....Does the calibration page 'understand' that Yellow Low and Red Low are negative numbers and if I used the number 10, it would automatically be interpreted as -10A???

I don't want to test that theory without AFS feedback since if I put the low amperage to a positive number the alarm would go off constantly.

H. Roberts

Hi. This seems like a simple question to answer. Thanks.

You cannot set the amps gauge to display negative amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon View Post
    You cannot set the amps gauge to display negative amps.
    Jonathon, I don't want the gauge to display negative amps, although presumably it already is doing that. The gauge settings in Calibration already has Yellow Low at -5 Amps and Red Low at -10 Amps. I simply want to change these levels to Yellow Low at -10 Amps and Red Low at -15 Amps, per airplane manufacturer.

Please re-read my first post on this topic for more details on the problem. I just need to enter two new negative numbers to replace the two negative numbers already in the settings, specifically each 5 more amps in the negative direction.

The ammeter in our system is intended only for use on the alternator side, to display charging amps from the alternator. It is not intended to be used on the battery side, to indicate charge or discharge current from the battery, as your aircraft manufacturer has apparently intended. I don't know why your screenshot is displaying negative amps for the yellow low, red low, and bottom of gauge, my guess is that your aircraft manufacturer probably customized the engine sensor config file on a pc to try to force it to display negative amps. Whether or not that works, it's not a use that we support.

Any way to increase the rpm for squelch of the audio warning from 1500 rpm to what our actual idle is, 1700 rpm?

Not presently. I will let the devs know that such a feature would be useful to non Lycoming/Continental users.