Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual Screen AF5600 and AF3500EM Serial Ports and back up AHARS (G5)

Dual Screen AF5600 and AF3500EM Serial Ports and back up AHARS (G5)

I have a dual screen set up with an AF5600 and an AF3500EM. I would like to add a back up G5 AHARS to the system. All of the serial ports on the AF5600 are in use. All of the serial ports on the AF3500EM seem to be available when looking at the Admin Settings. The two screens are connected by an ethernet cable. Can I connect the G5 to an AF3500EM serial port and use it for a redundant AHARS2? If so, how do I configure the AF3500EM and AF5600 so the AHARS info gets to the AF5600?.

I would also like to add ADSB In. Can I do that with a serial port on the AF3500?

Help on this would be greatly appreciated.

The G5 cannot be wired to the AF-3500. It may be possible to move something from your 5600 to your 3500 to free up a serial port for use with G5 as backup ADAHRS. What are your 5600 serial port assignments?

The ports on the AF5600 are connected to the Transponder, AF-Pilot, and G430 GPS. Port 4 goes to the Arinc.

If by transponder you mean sending altitude encoding to a third party transponder, then you can move this over to the 3500. If the transponder is our 261 remote transponder, then this is not possible. The AF-Pilot and 430W need to stay wired to the same EFIS as the AF-ARINC, so this trio all needs to stay on the 5600.

You only listed four serial ports, the EFIS has five. Is serial zero assigned to either AFS AHRS or XBOW 525? Is your EFIS a touchscreen or a non-touch? The G5 as ADAHRS is only supported with touchscreen AF-5600 units running the latest V16 system software.

Port 0 is connected to the AFS AHRS. It is a touch screen. The Transponder is a Garmin 330ES. It sounds like I can move the transponder connection and use that port on the AF5600 for the G5. Configuring each panel so this all works is my worry.

Yes you can move the transponder serial port wiring over to the 3500. Set the serial port you use to TRFC/ICARUS, be certain the 3500 is getting airdata from the 5600 (3500 air module config set to HW:OFF, NET: RXD, 5600 air module config set to HW:INT, NET:TXD)

Wire the G5 to the freed up serial port on your 5600, configure the G5 RS-232 settings to "Text" output at 115200 baud rate.

Set the serial port on the 5600 to G5 backup EFIS.

Last step, put your 3500 on a primary flight instrument page, tap the flight path marker on the 5600 to open the option menu, select BACKUP EFIS as ADAHRS source. Go to SET--> AHRS --> PITCH ADJ. Use the joystick knob to adjust the pitch ladder on the 5600 until it matches what you see on the 3500. Once they do, leave the EFIS on for about five minutes (the change is saved not through user input but via a background process that runs every couple of minutes).

3500 non S processors do not support ADS-B in and even S processor models can struggle with it, especially in a high traffic environment. Given your configuration, the best way to add ADS-B in is going to be though a GDL90 wifi receiver, such as a Stratus 3 (NOT 2S OR EARLIER), Stratux, etc, and a Dynon wifi dongle plugged into the 5600.

I noticed that the Stratus 3 can provide AHRS information. Can the 5600 use the Stratus 3 for a back-up AHRS source? Also, will the 5600 receive the weather information and traffic for display on the moving map?

The Stratus 3 cannot be used as an AHRS source. The EFIS will display weather on the map, and traffic will show on both the map and the synthetic vision display.

Well I am a bit frustrated. I bought a Stratus 3 and the AFS Wifi dongle (over $900). Plugged the dongle into the AFS5600. It blinks, so seems to be powered up right.

The AFS5600 sees the Stratus 3 wifi, but does not connect.
    Here are my AFS5600 settings:
    SET-CAL-WIFI
    Wifi Mode: Client
    ADSB Receiver Type: GDL90 (no other option)
    ADSB Broadcast: Off. I tried both also. Nothing

CHECK-WIFI
    Stratus 3023008: Connecting 0 bps, this does not change

CHECK-ABOUT
    Wifi Status: pending

MAP-WX
    ADSB or WIFI? I assume WIFI is correct if it were connecting.

Stratus
    SSID: On or Off, doesn't seem to matter.

What am I missing? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Per Appareo's documentation, it looks like "Open ADSB mode" needs to be enabled from the Horizon Pro ipad app before the Stratus will talk to us.