Thread: Gear Warning Button no longer works

Gear Warning Button no longer works

We have the AF-5500 gear warning alert for amphibious aircraft. Lately when pressing the rubber button to indicate "Water Landing", nothing happens and the alert continuously bugs the pilot to make a choice. Apparently the 'soft key' on the touchscreen still works. The rubber button is easier to push while the pilot is busy in a landing sequence and it would be nice to get it working again. Any tips? Would squirting some anti-corrosion at the button help or other liquid? Can buttons be repaired without sending the entire unit to the factory?

The EFIS hardware buttons are multi function, does the same physical button also not function when you are in any of the EFIS, ENGINE, MAP, FPL etc. menus? Does the button work if you press it more firmly?

Jonathan, good question. I can only answer one of them: It does not work no matter how hard I press it. To answer the multifunction question I need to go to the airport, 45 minutes away, which I usually don't do unless I'm going to fly. I will check next time.

Jonathan, I just tested the physical rubber buttons this week. They all work on the main menu page. When the gear alert appears the physical buttons still do not work, but the touch screen buttons do work. While usable, it is harder to hunt for the right touch screen spot while you are occupied with landing than to stab the physical rubber buttons. From this experiment, we know the hardware is in good shape.

Therefore, we have a software problem. Could the software be corrupted? It certainly worked before and we haven't updated since March 15 of 2021 with X16.6.14-B2-MV16.

Is there a newer software load we should be trying?

Not wanting to get in the middle of this because of my lack of knowledge but on their support page AFS has this as the current 5000 series software Vx16.07.17-TOUCH-MV16

Iarco, thanks. I did see that after I posted. But I'm also looking for feedback on whether that could fix the problem or whether Jonathon has other suggestions. Anyway, I do plan on putting in the update when I can, can't hurt.

Well, without doing anything, the rubber button for water or runway landings now is working and no longer a problem. ????
    Last edited by Harold Roberts; 02-22-2022 at 08:15 PM.

I spoke too soon last February. The rubber button for water landing works about 50% of the time. However the touch screen button adjacent to the rubber button always works so if the rubber button doesn't work I push the touch screen.