Thread: Check Amperage!

Check Amperage!

I frequently get this audible alarm and by looking at cockpit videos I realize they tend to come any time I am idling and key the microphone to talk to ATC, which makes them especially annoying as it interrupts my train of thought, even if ATC cannot hear it. I searched the manuals and cannot find any reference to this alarm.
    Last edited by Harold Roberts; 12-09-2021 at 06:04 AM.

Harold, check your amperage and voltage when transmitting at idle. It could be a temporary low amperage alert (configurable in settings). It'd make sense if you're at idle and the alternator isn't putting out much amperage. It also could just be a very quick drop and recovery with the radio transmitting causing your amperage to drop below the alert limit. You can change the alert by decreasing your red range.

majuro15, Thanks! Is there anything in the manuals (either pilot guide or installation) that covers this? We searched using 'amperage', 'current' and 'alarm' in both documents and found nothing. How do I navigate to the alert settings?

Press SET, press and hold CAL. That gets you into the setup menu. Just look for Amperage I think or Amps. It's the same way you'd adjust any values, CHT, EGTs, etc.

Thanks! Won't be in the same state as the plane until January but will try it out then.

Another question: What is the alarm that says "Check Amperage" triggered by? A low voltage reading?

Alarm would be triggered by the amps reading crossing into either the high or the low red bands as defined in the SET --> CAL --> Amperage (Shunt and/or Hall Effect) menus.

Well, we found we could not set the amperage to negative numbers, even though they are defaulted to negative numbers. However, I found a menu setting that got what I wanted. You can set the audio alert to not go on if the rpm is below 1500. That fixed the problem without completely shutting off the audio alert. PROBLEM SOLVED!

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Roberts View Post
    Well, we found we could not set the amperage to negative numbers, even though they are defaulted to negative numbers. However, I found a menu setting that got what I wanted. You can set the audio alert to not go on if the rpm is below 1500. That fixed the problem without completely shutting off the audio alert. PROBLEM SOLVED!
    I spoke too soon. Our normal idle rpm is above 1500. So the squelch below 1500 rpm does not squelch the alert since it is never below 1500rpm. I will post a question on how to change the amperage settings in a fresh posting.