Thread: 6cyl pmag config

6cyl pmag config

I recently installed dual Pmags on my RV-10. Per Brad the pmag outputs three pulses per revolution. The install manual for the 5500 states to set the rpm setting to pulses per two revolutions, which would be 6. When start the engine for the first time, it appears that the rpm setting is doubled. At a low idle, it was showing about 2300 on both and about 2150 on either single mag.

I know that I wasn
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Tricky one, if I remember correctly you have the SV-EMS so inputs are going to either p32/p33 for 12V, p34/p35 for 5V signal levels, or open collector will need a pullup, connected to the 37pin connector. I'm hoping its just forgetting to hit save in the RPM calibration. 3 ppr is what their manual states for a 6cyl as stated. The p-mags also have their EICAD software which can configure the pulses per rev.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn McGinnis View Post
    Tricky one, if I remember correctly you have the SV-EMS so inputs are going to either p32/p33 for 12V, p34/p35 for 5V signal levels, or open collector will need a pullup, connected to the 37pin connector. I'm hoping its just forgetting to hit save in the RPM calibration. 3 ppr is what their manual states for a 6cyl as stated. The p-mags also have their EICAD software which can configure the pulses per rev.
    Due to the holiday and bad weather, I haven’t had a chance to run the engine at max rpm to validate or invalidate my initial observation.

The Pmags are 12v and they are hooked up to 32/33.

The 6cyl Pmags are different than the 4cyl., so things that supports the 4cyl generally aren’t applicable to the 6cyl

I’m hoping to finish the testing on Saturday.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Darn didn't catch that the EICAD was for 4-Cyl version only. Hoping I could explain the difference. Lets hope for the SAVE miss.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

The problem turn out to be a configuration issue caused by me. I foolishly missed configuring both the left and right rpm mag setting to 6. I only changed the setting for one mag. Once I did that, everything worked as it should.

Thanks to Rob for responding on a Saturday afternoon and showing me the errors of my ways.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying