Thread: Joining a leg in progress without return to the start

Joining a leg in progress without return to the start

OK maybe a bit of a noob question, If I enter a IFD flight plan on the ground or or a direct to but I do not engage the autopilot right away. When I do engage the autopilot it tries to fly to the start of the leg. Even if I current on the leg in HITS boxes it will try to turn back to the start of the leg. This also an issue if I have fly off my course to avoidance. I there a way to join the leg at the closest current point when engaging the autopilot?

I wish there was better documentation on the dynon autopilot behavior with the 5600. I am not sure how much of the functionality is in the 5600 or the autopilot, I was assuming the high level functions were in the 5600 and autopilot just runs the servos. This is also true when using the IFD, a high level description would me nice.

I have a Garmin, but the IFD should work similarly.

On the 650, I press the direct button, then I can scroll through legs of the flight plan and select the leg you want.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

I would think engaging the autopilot in HDG or TRK mode and setting up the desired intercept would bring back to your desired track. NAV would be armed and when within 80% of the of the track NAV will engage and continue to fly the flight plan.

Possibly the answers lie on page 124 of the manual. There’s an explanation of how the flight plan interface works with an external Navigator connected and that you can’t modify a flight plan displayed by an external navigator on the EFIS. You have to make the changes on the Navigator.