Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AHRS Periodically goes crazy

After many hours of flying the horizon 'tilted' about 15 degrees as we were flying horizontally. I'm wondering if we should just replace the AHRS? Can a replacement be purchased and for how much?

In what axis is it tilted? These units are extremely reliable, it is premature to conclude that this is a problem with your AHRS and not with installation + calibration.

To further troubleshoot, Please send a brief video of your EFIS in flight to support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon View Post
    In what axis is it tilted? These units are extremely reliable, it is premature to conclude that this is a problem with your AHRS and not with installation + calibration.

To further troubleshoot, Please send a brief video of your EFIS in flight to support@advanced-flight-systems.com
    Jonathon, did you read the whole thread above?

The axis is not tilted in any particular direction. 99.9% of the time the horizon is straight and level when I am going straight and level. However every now and then it flips to a large tilt when going straight and level. Then it will flip back to normal accuracy after some time (minutes). I do not have a video of this as it would require a lot of video to get the 0.1% when it fails.

We have fewer than a dozen of these AHRS units left, all of which are reconditioned units traded in by customers after upgrading their EFIS to a touchscreen AF-5000 with SkyView ADAHRS. They are $1,200, before committing to a replacement you should probably send your AHRS to us for testing. We can put it on a bench here and see if we can reproduce the problem you are experiencing

Our AF-5500 is a touchscreen. Can it use the new ADAHRS?

Yes. It will be a bit of work, but since you have a touchscreen, replacement with an SV-ADAHRS-200 would be preferable to trying a reconditioned AFS AHRS.

Jonathon, what is a 'bit of work'? I'm guessing the electrical connector must be different than the Vectornav AHRS? Also, what advantages (beside perhaps correcting our periodic AHRS insanity) are there to the SV-ADAHRS-200?

Finally, how much would the 200 cost?

SV-ADAHRS-200 is also $1,200, cable is extra. You will need to physically install the ADAHRS and run a SkyView network cable from the EFIS to it, the old wiring should not really be reused. You will need to install and wire a new OAT. In your case, you could continue to use the EFIS internal air data computer for your pitot / static / aoa connections.

One thing we noticed yesterday is that the horizon tilted while on the ground as soon as the engine started. Wondering if the magnetos could be effecting the AHRS since it is now mounted in the baggage area, below the Rotax 914 engine.

I'd say that sounds like a smoking gun. Is there anywhere you can mount the AHRS that isn't near 1) your ignition system as is currently or 2) your flap actuator as it was before? How does the inner wing area look and is it accessible? The gyros won't be happy being out in the wingtip but if you can mount it closer to the wing root they should be happy enough.