Thread: Power Line Obstacle Warning?

Power Line Obstacle Warning?

While we do see obstacles like radio towers on our SVN display, while flying over the Mississippi recently we noticed that power lines were not displayed. Should we expect to see power lines across the river?

Somewhat related, while we updated our software to v16 back in February. I don't know if the map database was automatically updated so I looked for the latest on the AFS website.

Name:  AF-5000_v16_Software_About_Page.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  23.3 KB

AF-5000 Series US Aviation/Obstacles Database
    US Aviation Database Valid: June 17 - July 14 (Cycle: 2106)
    US Obstacle Database Valid: June 17 - August 11 (Cycle: 2103)

I updated the file AF2MAPUS.AFM from the AFS website. Is that the only update I need? It seems it was labeled Cycle 2106, do I need Cycle: 2103?

Hal
    Last edited by Harold Roberts; 07-06-2021 at 06:53 PM.

Can anyone answer my question about power line visibility and warnings?

Harold,
    Towers for transmission lines will display on the synthetic vision and AFS map, but the transmission lines themselves will not.

The aviation and obstacle databases run on different cycles, this is normal. Note that Cycle 2106 for the aviation data is about to expire, Cycle 2107 is available for download now from our website

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Note: Obstacles at or above 200 ft AGL should be shown.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon View Post
    Harold,
    Towers for transmission lines will display on the synthetic vision and AFS map, but the transmission lines themselves will not.

The aviation and obstacle databases run on different cycles, this is normal. Note that Cycle 2106 for the aviation data is about to expire, Cycle 2107 is available for download now from our website
    Thank you.