Thread: Angle, Angle, Push! Warning and Rain?

Angle, Angle, Push! Warning and Rain?

The audio stall warning seems to work fine but during our last flight on a normal approach the Angle, Angle, Push audio warning went on while well above stall speeds. It was lightly raining at the time. I did a go around because this warning normally does not alert except at the end of landing when flaring or beginning of take off.

My copilot did the next landing attempt and the Angle, Angle, Push repeated all the way from start to finish of the landing. It was also lightly raining during that landing.

I don't know whether the rain and the stall alert are coincidental or not.

Any suggestions?

Hal

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    If it was a systemic issue I would recommend lowering the Landing Warning Override value. We do see when rain causes issues with the pressure ports.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Shawn, thanks.

How can I learn more how the AOA sensors work? The install manual mentions the separate 'AOA manual', which is not on the AFS support page. You mention that rain can cause issues with the pressure ports, I assume you mean the AOA pressure ports, not the pitot and static? Which port might be impacted by rain?

The Install manual lists a number of planes with Wing Span and chord locations plus flap switch. Our SeaRey is not listed. What does the flap switch setting have to do with the AOA?

Harold,

The theory of AOA is extensively discussed in the manual for our standalone AOA product. The AOA built into your EFIS operates on the same principles.

The upper and lower AOA ports are going to be more sensitive to rain owing to the smaller diameter of their tubing, and their location on the wing itself.

The use of a flap switch to detect flap position allows the AOA to select between two different calibrations, one for flaps up, and one for flaps down. When a switch is installed, the donut in the center of your AOA display will light up green when the flaps are down.

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Do you have the labels on the wing indicating the AOA port location or does your SeaRey use the Dynon AOA Pitot Tube?
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn McGinnis View Post
    Do you have the labels on the wing indicating the AOA port location or does your SeaRey use the Dynon AOA Pitot Tube?
    Yes, I have the AOA port labels on the wing. I discovered that the 'Use Flap Angle Sensor' was set to YES which actually prohibited the AOA from knowing the angle of the flaps.

Name:  Use_flap_angle_sensor.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  23.3 KB

I changed it to NO and now the AOA is working and knows where my flaps are. At least it can tell the difference between positions 0 (no flaps),1 and 2,3 (full flaps).

Name:  Do not use flap angle sensor.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  23.2 KB

Once that was set correctly we calibrated it and it seems to be working OK.

[Note the screenshots are before calibration.]

Hal