Thread: SV-EMS-220 with 5400 ... plug and play RPM sensing?

SV-EMS-220 with 5400 ... plug and play RPM sensing?

I'm installing a 5400, replacing my old 4500. I have dual P-mags. On the SV-EMS-220, the install manual indicates that RPM sensing is on pin 32, but suggests that with dual P-mags the 37 pin connector has to be re-pinned to put RPM sensing on pin 33. That's a change from the 4500? or does my RPM sensing work the same on my new 5400 as it did on my old 4500?

IOW...should I expect to re-pin the 37 pin connector and move the pin in 32 to 33? Are there other pins that I need to move. I'm already aware of the ARINC connection.

Other questions about this installation...

To expand on the "plug and play" question...do I need to tinker with other aspects of the EFIS or Network Expansion Harness? Kavlico sensors were installed to replace the VDO's a few years ago..do I need resistors somewhere?

At one point, Jonathon had said to me for this install..."The EFIS expansion harness will need to be repinned from the existing DB9 to a DB15." I don't now what that means. My SV-Network Expansion Harness 53625 has a DB-15 on one end that plugs into the 5400. The other end is a DB-9, as it has to be in order to plug into to the (DB9) network hub. What am I supposed to repin? What connector do I change?
    Last edited by MacCool; 01-24-2021 at 10:30 AM.

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    You will connect pin 6 of the P-Mags to SV-EMS pins 32/33 if they are 12V signal output or pins 34/35 for 5V signal levels. Here is a list of all conversions from Internal EMS to SV-EMS. Kavlico sensors are good to go without resistors.
    Converting from AFS EM to SV-EMS-220.pdf

Here is a diagram on the DB9 to a DB15 repin.
    Upgrading AF-3000 AF-4000 to AF-5000 Display.pdf
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

OK, I get it now.

Regarding re-pinning the main engine harness...
    • what do I do about the SV-EMS-220 pins marked "SkyView Only"? Don't re-pin?
    • what do I do if I don't have electric elevator or aileron trim
    • what is flap trim? If I have electric flaps, does that mean that pin 34 has to go to pin 9?
    • what is TIT1+/-, TIT2 +/-
    • If I re-pin the DB9 to the DB15 in pins 1, 2, 9, and 10...what do I do with the ARINC 429 harness which ALSO is supposed to go to pins 2, 9, and 10 on the EFIS Expansion cable
    • Also, the SV-GPS-250 is supposed to go in pins 1, 2, 9, and 10 of the EFIS Expansion cable

Pardon my ignorance, but how does that work when multiple devices are supposed go into the same pins on a DB connector. Do they just share?
    Last edited by MacCool; 01-25-2021 at 04:23 PM.

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
    What do I do about the SV-EMS-220 pins marked "SkyView Only"? Don't re-pin?
    Correct you wont have anything in those spots.

What do I do if I don't have electric elevator or aileron trim
    If you don't have trim position indicators you don't need the pins.

What is flap trim? If I have electric flaps, does that mean that pin 34 has to go to pin 9?
    If you have a flap position indicator that would have you move 34 to 9.

What is TIT1+/-, TIT2 +/-
    Turbo inlet temperature 1 and 2. Which you probably don't have.

If I re-pin the DB9 to the DB15 in pins 1, 2, 9, and 10...what do I do with the ARINC 429 harness which ALSO is supposed to go to pins 2, 9, and 10 on the EFIS Expansion cable
    An AF-ARINC would either be removed and replaced with the SV-ARINC or you would move it to a different open serial port.

Also, the SV-GPS-250 is supposed to go in pins 1, 2, 9, and 10 of the EFIS Expansion cable
    SV-GPS-250 would be the better choice for serial port 4 as it already has power in that connector.

Pardon my ignorance, but how does that work when multiple devices are supposed go into the same pins on a DB connector. Do they just share?
    Normally you would use something like an L-C-2 or L-C-3 Solder Termination Sleeve. Pulling one 20awg wire from the pin out 1 or 2 inches then fanning out into multiple other wires.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Thanks for your prompt reply, Shawn. That's very helpful.