Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horizon Level Adjustment?

Horizon Level Adjustment?

Is it possible to adjust the level of the horizon in the AF-5500 attitude display?

Is this what you are looking for? Name:  pitch adj.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  22.5 KB

Iarco, yes, I think it is. I had assumed this would be in the Calibration settings and hadn't looked for it in the Pilot Guide.

Quote Originally Posted by larco View Post
    Is this what you are looking for? Name:  pitch adj.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  22.5 KB
    Larco, we successfully adjusted the pitch line for level flight, but find that this setting reverts to the old setting each time we turn off and back on the mains power to the EFIS. Is this pitch setting supposed to be persistent?

Might check with AFS but you might need a back up battery connected or the aircraft battery connected to the back up battery EFIS terminal. This could be necessary to keep the memory live when shut down?
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 2.01.39 PM.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  20.5 KB

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Harold,

Checking that your backup battery is correctly installed as suggested will ensure the screen saves all of its settings at the shutdown countdown. My other recommendation would be to verify that your software is up to date https://www.advancedflightsystems.co...re-updates.php

Quote Originally Posted by larco View Post
    This could be necessary to keep the memory live when shut down?
    Only the original AF-3000 has memory maintained by battery backup.
    Last edited by Shawn McGinnis; 02-08-2021 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn McGinnis View Post
    Harold,

The backup battery as suggested will ensure the screen saves all of its settings at the shutdown countdown. Only the original AF-3000 has memory maintained by battery backup. My other recommendation would be to verify that your software is up to date https://www.advancedflightsystems.co...re-updates.php
    Shawn, We have the AF-5500. Are you saying that only the AF-3000 needed a backup battery or that our AF-5500 needs one? I can imagine that using the main battery might be problematic if the plane is not flown for any long duration, causing a trickle drain on the battery.

Hal

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Your AF-5500 needs backup power connections. The primary reason is to maintain the clock but there are other reasons. A screen should draw less than 1mA which would be over a year (for a 12V 10Ah battery) of power which is normally beyond standard battery manufacturer upkeep recommendations.

AF-5000 Series Install Manual Version 15.1 page 13 states:
    3. Component Power and Ground Wiring
    Connect each EFIS screen and component to a separate properly sized fuse or circuit breaker. Each EFIS screen MUST have the backup power wired to a backup battery or fused direct aircraft battery connection. All EFIS screens and components should be wired to a good ground connection.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn McGinnis View Post
    Your AF-5500 needs backup power connections. The primary reason is to maintain the clock but there are other reasons. A screen should draw less than 1mA which would be over a year (for a 12V 10Ah battery) of power which is normally beyond standard battery manufacturer upkeep recommendations.

AF-5000 Series Install Manual Version 15.1 page 13 states:
    3. Component Power and Ground Wiring
    Connect each EFIS screen and component to a separate properly sized fuse or circuit breaker. Each EFIS screen MUST have the backup power wired to a backup battery or fused direct aircraft battery connection. All EFIS screens and components should be wired to a good ground connection.
    Shawn,

You asked before what software we have, it is v16, via recently purchased memory stick from AFS.

I suspect we do have our AF-5000 wired correctly with battery backup since other settings, like whether the gear warning audio is on or off, does get saved. The AF-5000 reboots when you save a new setting. With the pitch indicator adjustment, there is no reboot process. Also, it goes back to the previous setting after we shut off the Mains power.

I am trying to confirm is whether I should expect this setting to be saved or do we need to adjust each time we power on the plane?

Thanks.

Shawn, I went to the plane and turned on the AF-5000. I checked the clock and the time was exact but off by one hour. I assume that is a daylight savings issue and that the AF-5000 does not have automatic daylight savings adjustment. I didn't adjust it since it will just need to be re-adjusted next time change. I assume that it is OK for the time to be off by one hour?

In any case, this shows that we do have the battery backup power.

Back to the pitch level setting, how can we make it stick?