Thread: Dynon SV-GPS-250 voltage?

Slobovia Outernational (MS71), 10 N of Jackson MS

Dynon SV-GPS-250 voltage?

Hi,

I recently purchased someone's 'new old stock' AFS 4500sEEp-V, and it came with a Dynon GPS puck. No markings other than the Dynon logo, but given the age of the 4500, I'm assuming that it's an SV-GPS-250 GPS. The only specs I can find on Dynon's section of the web site says:

"Connections: Each SV-GPS-250 contains: Four leads to attach to the SkyView Main Harness, including RX, TX, 8V, and Ground."

I did manage to find wire color codes (for an SV-GPS-2020) by downloading a Dynon SV EFIS install manual, which I hope will be the same as for the 250. My question is about the '8V' reference. Anyone know if this is the actual voltage spec for this GPS? Is this some Garmin-inspired attempt to make it compatible only with the GPS power output of Dynon EFIS models, or just some bad documentation? All the other GPS modules I've dealt with in the past required either 5V, or 12V. What voltage is this model really compatible with? I can make up a custom 8V supply if required, but since I've seen other accounts of Dynon GPS modules being used with various AFS and other EFIS models, I'm hoping that it's compatible with either 5V or 12V supplies.

Thanks,

Charlie

Hello Charlie,
    Yes, the SV-GPS-250 takes 8V power. On your AF-4500 you can supply this from the pin for OAT power:

Name:  AF-GPS.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  33.7 KB

Slobovia Outernational (MS71), 10 N of Jackson MS
    Excellent news; many thanks for the info!