Thread: Bitchin' Betty

Bitchin' Betty

Point me to the menu setting for disabling the terrain audio warnings during climb-out and landing, please. Thanks!

Doesn’t that come from your gps navigator?
    Dave Ford
    RV10

The AF-5000 EFIS does not have audio terrain waning's. You need to check the settings on your Avidyne IFD-540 SETUP Page .

If you experience excessive FLTA alerts during landing then it is likely that the FLTA Exclusion Areas Option is turned off

FLTA
    FLTA alerting is triggered by either a projected imminent impact with terrain or obstacle or reduced terrain and obstacle clearance. Projected imminent impact with terrain occurs when the aircraft flight path is projected to intersect with terrain up to 3.0nm (yellow caution) or up to 1.5nm (red warning) in front of the aircraft flight path.

TA
    TA can be triggered by either terrain or obstacles (e.g. towers > 200’ AGL tall buildings, etc). Any terrain that is within a 10nm radius of aircraft position and between 100’ below aircraft altitude and 1000’ below aircraft altitude will generate yellow hatched indications on the map pages. Any terrain that is within a 10nm radius of the aircraft position and is 100’ below aircraft to anything above aircraft altitude will generate red hatched indications on the map pages
    Terrain Caution
    Message played on caution warning

Terrain Warning
    Message played on warning

FLTA Exclusion
    The white dots around the airport on the IFD map
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

That's a possibility - I will power down the Avidyne next time and see if it takes it away. I'm surprised to hear the 540 is the likely source of the "Caution! Terrain!" voice, since the Avidyne has not achieved GPS lock even once since I installed it. Since it's not my primary nav/com, I was going to figure that issue out later when I was going to actually use the unit in my instrument training. If the 540 doesn't know where it is, I'm surprised it could issue terrain warnings, but I have a lot to learn, clearly! OTOH, if it is aware of position, then the GPS is working and it's the GPS FAIL flag that's the problem with the Avidyne - probably a much easier fix than some antenna/cable install error as I was afraid it was.

Does the Avidyne screen show the warning? Does the moving map on the avidyne show the airplane? When an IFD gets a GPS lock it displays the airplane.
    You should send the IFD logs to Avidyne to see what is going on. Did you buy a used or new IFD?
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Rob thanks for getting back to me. The terrain warnings were indeed coming from the IFD-540. Yesterday for the first time I apparently hit the proper response keys after boot-up to clear the splash screens and get to the actual MAP display on the Avidyne. This showed not only GPS lock but all expected features on the moving map.

As the purpose of yesterday's flight was to verify resolution of some critical fuel pressure issues, and being very mission-focused early in phase one in an unfamiliar airplane, I didn't have the liberty of investigating the 540's features further. I'm honestly not sure what I did differently with the button pushing prior to T/O on the Avidyne that I haven't done dozens of times before, but this time instead of GPS POSITION FAULT I saw a nice moving map. I trust this verifies the physical installation of the unit/antenna and sets my mind at ease that it will perform later when I need it to. I will eventually read the manual and wrap my head around the 540's operation. Right now it's just very expensive forward ballast and a second com - that I only purchased this year so I could properly install the center panel from AeroSport and get flying.