Thread: Clock Battery

Clock Battery

I need to replace the clock battery in my AFS-4500. There's a cover plate for what seemingly would be to access the coin cell battery, but the battery isn't accesseable by it. It looks like you have to remove and completely disassembly the entire unit to be able to access the battery. It's has to be easier than that, right?

I also have a slave display as a second screen. Is there a clock battery in that unit as well, or just the main 4500 screen?

Vince
    RV-7
    N567VB

each display has its own clock battery
    here is the instructions for the non-S units
    https://www.advancedflightsystems.co...ck-battery.pdf
    i think the 4500 is similar but i would check with Shawn

Alan

IIRC the 4500 uses an internal BU battery instead of the clock battery. Either way it was seen on the VAF forum that the battery might be on back order so Recommend calling Tricia in sales @ AFS to verify before removing the EFIS for a battery replacement. And also she can verify what you need. Lots of improvements and changes over the years, hard to keep up with all the new technology. Great customer service

Quote Originally Posted by amekler View Post
    each display has its own clock battery
    here is the instructions for the non-S units
    https://www.advancedflightsystems.co...ck-battery.pdf
    i think the 4500 is similar but i would check with Shawn

Alan
    When I remove the cover, the battery isn't there. I have the 4500 which must use something else.

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Only the Non-S has the replaceable clock battery. The AF-4500 does have a soldered in battery but it was made obsolete with software so no replacement is required.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn McGinnis View Post
    Only the Non-S has the replaceable clock battery. The AF-4500 does have a soldered in battery but it was made obsolete with software so no replacement is required.
    Thanks. On my last flight, I noticed the clock was 2.5 hours slow so I assumed I needed to replace a battery. If no battery is required now, how does the system keep the time when it's shut down? I do know I need to replace my back up battery. Is it using power from the backup to keep the clock running?

Thanks
    Vince
    RV-7
    612-209-5498

The clock should get set when you get a valid GPS lock, it does not set the zulu offset.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.