Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: How do I get ADS-B WX?

  1. #1

    How do I get ADS-B WX?

    I have a 5600 Touch Screen with uAvionix tail beacon. I receive ADS-B traffic on my display but when I try to get weather, ADS-B (and Wi-Fi) are grayed out. I've attached three, hopefully, helpful photos.

    ADS-B Traffic
    Name:  ADS-B Traffic.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  63.9 KB

    WX and WiFi Grayed Out
    Name:  ADS-B WX Gray .jpg
Views: 85
Size:  33.5 KB

    About Screen
    Name:  About WX.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  44.6 KB
    Sport Pilot
    Tecnam P92 Eaglet N693JP

  2. #2
    Had this happen when I updated to the 5500. Got traffic but not weather and Vic S helped out. Perhaps it isn't turned on? Look at this post on VAF. https://vansairforce.net/community/s...d.php?t=136604
    Last edited by larco; 08-16-2020 at 05:48 PM.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by larco View Post
    Had this happen when I updated to the 5500. Got traffic but not weather and Vic S helped out. Perhaps it isn't turned on? Look at this post on VAF. https://vansairforce.net/community/s...d.php?t=136604
    I'll check the Set->Map for Weather tomorrow. I'll try to find the two places in CAL for the transponder code as well. The avionics guy at my old airport did much complaining about there being a shortage of serial ports. Is it possible that I need one serial port for traffic and yet another one for weather? If so, I'm probably out of luck for weather...
    Sport Pilot
    Tecnam P92 Eaglet N693JP

  4. #4
    I only used one. I think you can turn weather on or off as desired. Interested to hear how it works out

  5. #5
    Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Canby, OR
    Posts
    748
    So it looks like you have "XMWX" or WXWorx XM Satellite Weather enabled in your settings. If you don't have the WxWorx receiver get that disabled it should be in Admin Settings -> WxWorx Configuration -> Connection Type -> Set to OFFLINE.

    Next your picture shows that you aren't in contact with any ground stations so you have no weather being broadcast to your aircraft. All of your traffic is Air-To-Air. Also once you do have ground stations make sure that "NO RADAR" goes away otherwise you aren't broadcasting ADS-B out properly.

    PPS:
    I'm not seeing that the tailBeacon is an ADS-B receiver. Do you possibly have some other device for ADS-B in?
    Shawn McGinnis

    Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn McGinnis View Post
    So it looks like you have "XMWX" or WXWorx XM Satellite Weather enabled in your settings. If you don't have the WxWorx receiver get that disabled it should be in Admin Settings -> WxWorx Configuration -> Connection Type -> Set to OFFLINE.

    Next your picture shows that you aren't in contact with any ground stations so you have no weather being broadcast to your aircraft. All of your traffic is Air-To-Air. Also once you do have ground stations make sure that "NO RADAR" goes away otherwise you aren't broadcasting ADS-B out properly.

    PPS:
    I'm not seeing that the TailBeacon is an ADS-B receiver. Do you possibly have some other device for ADS-B in?
    I set the satellite weather to OFFLINE. That seemed to make the Map->WX live.

    I'm not sure what the problem is with the "No Radar" Yesterday I was flying inside the Washington DC SFRA, well inside the Mode C veil and less then 20 miles from Dulles (IAD). I had traffic showing on my display and I ran a ADS-B Performance report today and it came back OK so ADS-B seems to be working OK and I do have traffic coming in. But, "No Radar" was up the whole time.

    The uAvionix TailBeacon-TSO is indeed out only. When I purchased the plane used it had ADS-B IN from the factory and I had to add Out via the TailBeacon. I believe the IN comes from a Garmin GDL 39. Mike Gerken at Chesapeake Sport Pilot had several telephone conversation with Rob Portman about how to get the installed Garmin Aera 500 to send Traffic to the AFS 5600 screen. Is the problem that I need a separate serial connection for the 500 to send weather to the 5600?

    I can send the PAPR PDF Report if that would help.
    Sport Pilot
    Tecnam P92 Eaglet N693JP

  7. #7
    Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Canby, OR
    Posts
    748
    My gut is saying it seems like you are only getting the 1090 and not the 978 UAT. I'm not sure on the GDL-39 data path as it's a bit non-standard for us but it should be a dual band receiver. You might go check what "ADS-B In Capability" you have selected on the TailBeacon. Changing between 978 and 1090 may get the data coming in more reliably.
    Shawn McGinnis

    Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn McGinnis View Post
    My gut is saying it seems like you are only getting the 1090 and not the 978 UAT. I'm not sure on the GDL-39 data path as it's a bit non-standard for us but it should be a dual band receiver. You might go check what "ADS-B In Capability" you have selected on the TailBeacon. Changing between 978 and 1090 may get the data coming in more reliably.
    I'm guessing this will be found via SET->CAL. Can you please give me the rest of the path to this setting?
    Sport Pilot
    Tecnam P92 Eaglet N693JP

  9. #9
    Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Canby, OR
    Posts
    748
    "ADS-B In Capability" is part of the TailBeacon setup using the uAvionics app.
    Shawn McGinnis

    Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn McGinnis View Post
    "ADS-B In Capability" is part of the TailBeacon setup using the uAvionics app.
    Sigh, my avionics guy told me I wouldn't need the app. Since I moved the plane, he is out of reach. I'll have to do some research, and install the app. Thanks for the help Shawn!
    Sport Pilot
    Tecnam P92 Eaglet N693JP

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •