Thread: How do I get ADS-B WX?

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar

:| Those got big...meh
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn McGinnis View Post

:| Those got big...meh
    I installed the app on my iPhone and could not see the Beacon-059C listed in under Settings Wi-Fi despite seeing other Wi-Fi networks. Knowing that the cellular network can cause problems, before my next trip to the airport, I installed the app on my iPad which is Wi-Fi only. I did not see Beacon-059C. However, I did see the FBO which is 900' from my tie-down.

I am stymied and stuck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by JJ.Campbell; 09-01-2020 at 06:04 AM.
    Sport Pilot
    Tecnam P92 Eaglet N693JP

I really don't have experience with the product, give uAvionics a call. They have always been really helpful.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems

I really don't have experience with the product, give uAvionics a call. They have always been really helpful.
    The wi-fi was locked up on my beacon. I received the replacement today. I'll let you know how Wx works after it is installed.
    Sport Pilot
    Tecnam P92 Eaglet N693JP

The tailBeacon's WiFi was not working. uAvionix sent me a new one. The new one is set up for dual 1090 & 978. No change. As you can see in the attached photo, I am very close to the Washington DC SFRA and inside the outer ring for Dulles (KIAD). Lots of radar in this area. My XMWX and WIFI buttons are alive but the ADS-B button is greyed out.

I've also tried to attach the PAPR report for this flight. Not sure if this will work for a PDF but I didn't see any other way to send it.

Name:  No ADS-B Wx.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  63.4 KB
    PAPR_20200922_A936B1_436306646.pdf
    Sport Pilot
    Tecnam P92 Eaglet N693JP

The ADSB button is to select a wired ADSB receiver, the wifi button is used to select an ADSB receiver that sends the adsb data on wi-fi. We have not tested a tail beacon with wi-fi, it might work.

Use Client Mode if you want the EFIS to connect to a Wi-Fi ADS-B Module that supports GDL90 data or a Wi-Fi Hotspot.

After changing the Wi-Fi mode you will need to power down and power up the EFIS for the changes to take effect.

NOTE:
    You must have AF-5000 Software:Vx16.06.02-B01 or later to display nexrad weather on a sectional chart.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hickman View Post
    The ADSB button is to select a wired ADSB receiver, the wifi button is used to select an ADSB receiver that sends the adsb data on wi-fi. We have not tested a tail beacon with wi-fi, it might work.

Use Client Mode if you want the EFIS to connect to a Wi-Fi ADS-B Module that supports GDL90 data or a Wi-Fi Hotspot.

After changing the Wi-Fi mode you will need to power down and power up the EFIS for the changes to take effect.

NOTE:
    You must have AF-5000 Software:Vx16.06.02-B01 or later to display nexrad weather on a sectional chart.
    The tailBeacon's wi-fi is only used to connect to its' configuration. The reason I wanted to do that originally was to see if it was set for only 1090 as suggested in an earlier response from AFS. I could never answer that question since the wi-fi didn't work but on the new one, the beacon is set for 1090 & 978.

I'm still confused about how I get ADS-B Traffic In but can't seem to get Wx. The plane when originally purchased in 2012 and when I bought it in March, had only ADS-B In. I added the tailBeacon for Out and then could not receive Traffic on the AFS monitor. I upgraded the 5600 to touch screen and wi-fi based on bad information that a dashboard mounted wi-fi Dynon DRX would solve all my problems. After months and many thousands of dollars later. I am where I am.

Should, I accept what I have and move on and forget about Wx?

PS The avionics guy, who I really liked personally, was fired several months after this work for consistently making mistakes.
    Sport Pilot
    Tecnam P92 Eaglet N693JP

What Rob was saying is you need to select [WIFI] as your source not [XMWX] as that is for only for paid SiriusXM Weather subscriptions with a WxWorx Receiver. [WIFI] would be from your DRX. You will notice that the NXRD indicator will change titles once this selection is changed.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems

What Rob was saying is you need to select [WIFI] as your source not [XMWX] as that is for only for paid SiriusXM Weather subscriptions with a WxWorx Receiver. [WIFI] would be from your DRX. You will notice that the NXRD indicator will change titles once this selection is changed.
    I don't have a DRX. It was sent back for credit after Rob told us it absolutely would not work despite Dynon emphatically assuring us it would. This was after I paid $4k to upgrade my 5600 to touch screen and wi-fi to use the DRX. Rob had many conversations with my avionics guy which is what got me as far as I have.

There was much gnashing of teeth about the lack of serial ports on the 5600 by my avionics guy. This is what lead to the failed DRX wi-fi excursion.

My plane has a Garmin GDL 39, Garmin Aera 500 and a Dynon D10 EMS. I've been told (no guarantee on the accuracy of this) that the 5600 gets GPS data from the Aera and Engine data from the D10. I have no idea how the ADS-B data gets to the 5600. I do know that I don't have an external GPS antenna. Apparently it is inside the consol. As part of the Aera 500 or GDL 39?

I'm trying to get ADS-B subscription free weather on the 5600.
    Last edited by JJ.Campbell; 09-24-2020 at 02:50 PM.
    Sport Pilot
    Tecnam P92 Eaglet N693JP

Quote Originally Posted by JJ.Campbell View Post
    I don't have a DRX. It was sent back for credit after Rob told us it absolutely would not work despite Dynon emphatically assuring us it would. This was after I paid $4k to upgrade my 5600 to touch screen and wi-fi to use the DRX. Rob had many conversations with my avionics guy which is what got me as far as I have.

There was much gnashing of teeth about the lack of serial ports on the 5600 by my avionics guy. This is what lead to the failed DRX wi-fi excursion.

My plane has a Garmin GDL 39, Garmin Aera 500 and a Dynon D10 EMS. I've been told (no guarantee on the accuracy of this) that the 5600 gets GPS data from the Aera and Engine data from the D10. I have no idea how the ADS-B data gets to the 5600. I do know that I don't have an external GPS antenna. Apparently it is inside the consol. As part of the Aera 500 or GDL 39?

I'm trying to get ADS-B subscription free weather on the 5600.
    This is not exactly correct, your avionics guy was trying to use the DRX as the GPS data source for the EFIS and I told him that would not work. The DRX would have worked to get ADSB weather and traffic on the EFIS. The most reliable way to get ADSB data is to use our wired Dynon SV-ADSB-472 receiver. The AF-5000 has 5 RS-232 serial ports, same as a Dynon Skyview. Email me a list of your current EFIS serial port settings.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.