Thread: How do I get ADS-B WX?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    I really don't have experience with the product, give uAvionics a call. They have always been really helpful.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn McGinnis View Post
    I really don't have experience with the product, give uAvionics a call. They have always been really helpful.
    The wi-fi was locked up on my beacon. I received the replacement today. I'll let you know how Wx works after it is installed.
    Sport Pilot
    Tecnam P92 Eaglet N693JP

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn McGinnis View Post
    The tailBeacon's WiFi was not working. uAvionix sent me a new one. The new one is set up for dual 1090 & 978. No change. As you can see in the attached photo, I am very close to the Washington DC SFRA and inside the outer ring for Dulles (KIAD). Lots of radar in this area. My XMWX and WIFI buttons are alive but the ADS-B button is greyed out.

I've also tried to attach the PAPR report for this flight. Not sure if this will work for a PDF but I didn't see any other way to send it.

Name:  No ADS-B Wx.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  63.4 KB
    PAPR_20200922_A936B1_436306646.pdf
    Sport Pilot
    Tecnam P92 Eaglet N693JP

The ADSB button is to select a wired ADSB receiver, the wifi button is used to select an ADSB receiver that sends the adsb data on wi-fi. We have not tested a tail beacon with wi-fi, it might work.

Use Client Mode if you want the EFIS to connect to a Wi-Fi ADS-B Module that supports GDL90 data or a Wi-Fi Hotspot.

After changing the Wi-Fi mode you will need to power down and power up the EFIS for the changes to take effect.

NOTE:
    You must have AF-5000 Software:Vx16.06.02-B01 or later to display nexrad weather on a sectional chart.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hickman View Post
    The ADSB button is to select a wired ADSB receiver, the wifi button is used to select an ADSB receiver that sends the adsb data on wi-fi. We have not tested a tail beacon with wi-fi, it might work.

Use Client Mode if you want the EFIS to connect to a Wi-Fi ADS-B Module that supports GDL90 data or a Wi-Fi Hotspot.

After changing the Wi-Fi mode you will need to power down and power up the EFIS for the changes to take effect.

NOTE:
    You must have AF-5000 Software:Vx16.06.02-B01 or later to display nexrad weather on a sectional chart.
    The tailBeacon's wi-fi is only used to connect to its' configuration. The reason I wanted to do that originally was to see if it was set for only 1090 as suggested in an earlier response from AFS. I could never answer that question since the wi-fi didn't work but on the new one, the beacon is set for 1090 & 978.

I'm still confused about how I get ADS-B Traffic In but can't seem to get Wx. The plane when originally purchased in 2012 and when I bought it in March, had only ADS-B In. I added the tailBeacon for Out and then could not receive Traffic on the AFS monitor. I upgraded the 5600 to touch screen and wi-fi based on bad information that a dashboard mounted wi-fi Dynon DRX would solve all my problems. After months and many thousands of dollars later. I am where I am.

Should, I accept what I have and move on and forget about Wx?

PS The avionics guy, who I really liked personally, was fired several months after this work for consistently making mistakes.
    Sport Pilot
    Tecnam P92 Eaglet N693JP