Thread: AFS and IFD540 working together with Jeppesen and Seattle Avionics Databases

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

AFS and IFD540 working together with Jeppesen and Seattle Avionics Databases

The IFD uses only Jeppesen (Jepp) databases for NavData, Terrain, Obstacles and Charts.
    The AFS-5600 uses Seattle Avionics (S.A.) databases for NavData, Terrain, Obstacles, Charts.
    This seems like a duplication, what do I need to fly an IFR flight? With Jepp data the price can get quite high.
    So to keep to a minimum of what is required to conduct a safe IFR flight, how do I configure my data packages?
    Can I just use Jepp Navdata in the IFD and use AFS with NavData, Terrain, Obstacles and Charts?
    I would like to see a discussion/article on how the AFS system and Avidyne system databases tie into one another.
    I'm confused as to what data packages I need to fly a VFR and an IFR flight.

for IFR you need only the navdata for the IFD540(jepp subscription) every 28 days (although i do update the obstacle data every year)
    for the rest you can go with the AFS -navdata/terrain/obstacles/charts

Jeppesen recently lowered the price on the IFD Nav Data to $299 a year. We recommend that you do the following:

IFD
    Nav Data Only - $299

AF-5000
    AFS Map Data - Free from our web site every 28 days
    Seattle Avionics (IFR Low, Sectionals, Approach Plates, Airport Diagrams) - $99
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Jeppesen Nav Data and AFS Map Data

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hickman View Post
    Jeppesen recently lowered the price on the IFD Nav Data to $299 a year. We recommend that you do the following:

IFD
    Nav Data Only - $299

AF-5000
    AFS Map Data - Free from our web site every 28 days
    Seattle Avionics (IFR Low, Sectionals, Approach Plates, Airport Diagrams) - $99
    I buy the "Americas" nav data from Jeppesen for my IFD440 which in almost twice the cost of the $299.00 "USA" only plan . I have to do that in order to get "Canadian" Nav data for the IFD. My question is how far north of the Canada US border does the free AFS nav data go?

Hello,
    So if the charts on the IFD-540 are not current, how does it interface with the seattle avionics charts so that you can legally fly an ifr approach? Do you not have to select an approach in the avidyne?

Quote Originally Posted by capdave View Post
    Hello,
    So if the charts on the IFD-540 are not current, how does it interface with the seattle avionics charts so that you can legally fly an ifr approach? Do you not have to select an approach in the avidyne?
    You are confusing flying an approach with having a visible approach plate. The IFR approaches that a certified GPS navigator (Avidyne IFD or Garmin GTN) fly are stored in the Jeppesen Nav data. In the old days you would have a paper approach plate to reference and you would load the approach in your Garmin 430W and the autopilot would fly the approach. With an Avidyne IFD540 the screen is large enough to display the "paper" approach plate on the screen for convenience. If you have an old airplane with no EFIS this makes a lot of sense. If you have a large screen EFIS that can display the "paper" approach plate and actually draw your airplane on it it does not make any sense to have it on the IFD540. The EFIS uses Seattle Avionics for the approach plates and they are a fraction of the cost of the Jeppesen Approach plates on the IFD.

You enter the flight plan on the IFD540 and select the approach, the flight plan gets sent to the EFIS, you select the approach plate on the EFIS if you want to see an approach plate.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Thank you! That makes sense now......

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    The AF2MAPUS.AFM contains only the occasional navaid within the Canadian boundary. The data is supplied for USA and its territories.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com