Thread: NAV Radio

NAV Radio

In planning stage, and looking to add a nav radio to the panel for ILS/GS. Looks like two reasonable options of MGL and VAL. Using an AFS 5600 single screen version 1. Any preferences?

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    The AF-5000 supports the VAL 2KR radio so I would recommend going that direction.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

If you go with the MGL N16 you'll need to install one of their head units, either a Vega or Razor, to interface with the AFS units. The head unit is required to emulate the interface protocols of the SL30 and provide translation between the 2 systems. I just installed one in my RV-10 with a Vega control head to meet the secondary Nav source requirements for IFR in Canada to go along with my Garmin GTN650xi. In reality it will probably never get used but I can say in the limited testing I have done the MGL will pick up a VOR station a little further out than the Garmin. I have not tested/compared the ILS function yet.

The VAL2KR remote nav receiver works well with afs 5600. Initially I had trouble but it ended up being a bad coax connection in my wiring. Now I can confidently use it as vor guidance or ils approach and is easily controlled via touch or button operation as a second nav source.
    Dave Ford
    RV10