Thread: EFIS Backup battery

EFIS Backup battery

I have an AFS 5500 touchscreen EFIS set up with the Skyview network. Like my Garmin G5 backup EFIS and the Garmin Aera 660 backup GPS I would like to install a backup battery for the EFIS. The Garmin G5 has an attached backup battery the and Aera 660 GPS has a built in Battery, both charged by the Acft electrical system. I have a TCW backup battery for the avionics stack but would like a separate backup EFIS battery setup similar to the way Garmin does it. Is there a backup battery that mounts onto the back of the 5500 EFIS? If not, why not? Doesn’t seem like much a problem for the smart guys at AFS.......

TCW battery for the 5500 EFIS

Quote Originally Posted by Oly148 View Post
    I have an AFS 5500 touchscreen EFIS set up with the Skyview network. Like my Garmin G5 backup EFIS and the Garmin Aera 660 backup GPS I would like to install a backup battery for the EFIS. The Garmin G5 has an attached backup battery the and Aera 660 GPS has a built in Battery, both charged by the Acft electrical system. I have a TCW backup battery for the avionics stack but would like a separate backup EFIS battery setup similar to the way Garmin does it. Is there a backup battery that mounts onto the back of the 5500 EFIS? If not, why not? Doesn’t seem like much a problem for the smart guys at AFS.......
    Why is having a battery attached to the EFIS important to you? Just curious.

My EBUS battery is an EarthX 680 mounted in the tail next to the main battery. This way I can power whatever devices I choose to be essential by ensuring connectivity to the EBUS. I didn’t want to manage the battery state of a bunch of independent batteries, it that’s just my opinion. I’m not stating that one method is better than another.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    The battery was intentionally removed from the screen in the AF-5000 generation for many different reasons. We have the two independent power inputs to provide the flexibility that you are looking for using pins 1 & 15 of the main harness for primary power input and backup power input on pin 6 of the 15 pin expansion harness. Given your senario I would recommend getting a secondary TCW backup battery that would power the AF-5000. In their manual is the wiring recommendations but if you have questions we can help you out.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Thanks Shawn, that’s what I ended up doing. I have the TCW battery installed but haven’t wired anything up yet. Seems like the best solution. My buddy has an RV-10 and installed a Plane Power standby alternator since he flies a lot of IFR. I think I’m going to add the stby alternator as well for IFR redundancy but stick with just one main battery and a backup avionics battery.