Thread: AF-5500 Black Screen

AF-5500 Black Screen

I have a 5500, installed new 9 years ago in the Glasair Aviation TWTT program.

For the past two or three years, neither the Synthetic Vision nor the Altitude Above Ground worked. The 5500 is driven from a GNS 430 W with recently updated software and data.

A backup battery is installed, and showed normal voltage before the problem flight.

During flight yesterday, the 5500 screen suddenly went dark. I verified the the EFIS breaker was closed and cycled the master switch. No change in the dark screen. All other electrical devices in the airplane continued to operate normally.

I have verified that the EFIS breaker is OK. I also note that opening the EFIS breaker should not power down the 5500 with the backup battery.

IIRC, the main battery power and the backup battery power to the EFIC have individual grounds, so both ground circuits would need to fail open to cause the problem.

What do you suggest as a first step in troubleshooting?

Or is it time to remove it and send it to the factory?

Thank you,

Byron Covey

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Try booting on backup power by pressing and holding the lower left button for ~10 seconds. If that doesn't work give us a call for an RMA.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Thanks Shawn.

It didn't work, so I talked to Rob today. After retesting with the engine inputs disconnected, it still would not start, so Rob said to send it in. Shipped it a few hours ago with an included note.

Byron Covey