Thread: Charging Bar on 4500 showing a negative number

Charging Bar on 4500 showing a negative number

I fly a Vans RV 6-a. 12 volt system, Lycoming IO 360. Installed new battery, duplicating exactly make/model that was in the aircraft. When I go to the engine page, the bar showing the charge shows "10" without alternator on and when I turn on the alternator it goes downward and shows a "-15". When I went in the setup pages under maintenance/calibration, one of the two pages, namely the second page had all zeros. Two questions; is the -15 normal and does anyone have recommendation under the maint/calibration pages for data entry factors?

Quote Originally Posted by lvpazik View Post
    I fly a Vans RV 6-a. 12 volt system, Lycoming IO 360. Installed new battery, duplicating exactly make/model that was in the aircraft. When I go to the engine page, the bar showing the charge shows "10" without alternator on and when I turn on the alternator it goes downward and shows a "-15". When I went in the setup pages under maintenance/calibration, one of the two pages, namely the second page had all zeros. Two questions; is the -15 normal and does anyone have recommendation under the maint/calibration pages for data entry factors?
    Do you have the amp shunt sensor or hall sensor?

Did you change any wiring or literally only installed a new battery?

Did you change any settings?

This sounds like you have the amps transducer wired backwards, are you sure it was working?
    Is the amps transducer wired in the alternator line or did someone mistakenly wire it in the line going to the battery?

Sounds like you need to call us from the airplane so we can see what is going on.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Only changed battery. Simply hooked up positive/negative wires that were on old battery to same position on new. Wasn't sure what "settings" should be in the AFS under the "calibration" section for this. The "Primary Voltage" page, when I looked at it, had all Zeros in every category. I wasn't sure if there were "standard" setting in the Battery Voltage and/or the "Primary Voltage" page on the calibration screen. I did not look at the two "amperage" pages.

Email me the serial number of the unit and I will send you the factory calibration values.

Rob@Advanced-Flight-Systems.com
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.