Thread: Dynon Engine Sensor Kit

Dynon Engine Sensor Kit

Back in January I was about to purchase the Advanced engine instrumentation including a fuel flow transducer for my AF-5500. However, life happens. Last month I was told you only sell the Dynon engine kits now so I purchased that with an SV-EMS-220 module. It does not include a fuel flow transducer to my surprise. I have several questions about the Dynon kit.

1. Is fuel flow required to determine percent power?

2. If I purchase the fuel flow transducer separately does the Dynon engine harness already provide the necessary connections or will I need another harness?

3. Does the fuel remaining function require fuel quantity sensors (capacitance or otherwise) or can the pilot set the tank quantity in the AF-5500 and see fuel remaining as fuel is consumed?

4. Is Carburetor Temperature used for percent power in the AF-5500? (I've almost never seen a carburetor temp gage in an airplane and am trying to understand its value)

5. Can the SV-EMS be mounted near a Whelen strobe powerpack? If not, is their a minimum distance between the powerpack and the SV-EMS-220?

6. Can EGT/CHT wires or the engine instrumentation wires be run near the Whelen strobe powerpack?

7. The engine wiring harness includes a DB-9 connector but I haven't found any documentation regarding its purpose. Could you provide any insights?

Thanks

If you have the internal EMS board the dynon CHT and EGT probes will not work, who told you we can't supply the old sensor kit?

1. Is fuel flow required to determine percent power? Yes and we have them in stock.

2. If I purchase the fuel flow transducer separately does the Dynon engine harness already provide the necessary connections or will I need another harness? Wires are in the harness.

3. Does the fuel remaining function require fuel quantity sensors (capacitance or otherwise) or can the pilot set the tank quantity in the AF-5500 and see fuel remaining as fuel is consumed? The fuel remaining in the fuel computer function requires the flow transducer. The fuel tank display requires the tank sensors.

4. Is Carburetor Temperature used for percent power in the AF-5500? (I've almost never seen a carburetor temp gage in an airplane and am trying to understand its value) Not required for % Power, it tells you when carb ice could be a problem.

5. Can the SV-EMS be mounted near a Whelen strobe powerpack? If not, is their a minimum distance between the powerpack and the SV-EMS-220? We have never tested it mounted close so we really don't know.

6. Can EGT/CHT wires or the engine instrumentation wires be run near the Whelen strobe powerpack? We have never tested it mounted close so we really don't know. I have never seen a strobe power pack wired behind the panel and it does not sound like a good location.

7. The engine wiring harness includes a DB-9 connector but I haven't found any documentation regarding its purpose. Could you provide any insights? The standard ems harness is also used on a Dynon D180, you don't need the dsub 9
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Hi Rob,

I worked with the Sales Department. Originally I wanted the Advanced engine sensors and sensor wires of approximately 25 feet. I have a canard aircraft with the engine in the back so long wire lengths are needed. Should I send this equipment back in favor of Advanced engine sensors?

I bought the AF-5500 about 5 years ago with the internal engine board. I recently had it upgraded but I assume the internal engine board was retained. The Sales Department said I would have to configure the AF-5500 to ignore the internal engine board in favor of the SV-EMS-220.

The Whelen strobe power pack is not behind the panel. It's approximately one foot forward of the firewall. There is space nearby where the SV-EMS-220 would fit. I can find other places for it but next to the power pack is the most convenient.

Thanks.

Rob,

Should I send the Dynon equipment back in favor of Advanced engine sensors?

Thanks

With a Canard aircraft I would use the external SV-EMS and mount it near the engine.

You purchased a Dynon SV-EMS-220 with the Dynon sensor kit so you are good to go.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Rob, I've been looking at the documentation which tells me to connect the SV-EMS module to the SV network. But there's nothing I can find that tells me what connector to use on the back of the AF-5500. Is it the EFIS Expansion connector? If so then that connector is already being used for the avionics I have installed (Avidyne IFD-440 and L-3 NGT-9000).

Do I need to return the Dynon engine sensors and replace them with Advanced engine sensors?

Thanks.

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    https://www.advancedflightsystems.co...#AF-5000Wiring
    See our AF-5000 R7 EFIS Main Harness - w/ SV Network.

You will find the locations to populate the SV Network pigtail into the EFIS Expansion connector there.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com