Thread: OAT probe location

OAT probe location

Where are people mounting the OAT probes? I am building an RV-7 and I placed the probes under the wings, outside of the prop wash. I don't think that, with less than 10 feet of length of harness going to the probes, I can reach far enough. Can I splice onto the shielded harness? I would have paid a few dollars more for a couple of more feet of wire.

I have mine next to the most outboard inspection cover under the left wing on my RV-7, splicing into the harness for the extra length wasn't an issue :-)

splicing into the harness for the extra length wasn't an issue - sjjonesnz
    Did you splice the shield too?

Yes, if I remember correctly.... :-)

Out on the wings is indeed the best location. Do ensure you join shields together if you extend the probe wires.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems
    Support@Advanced-Flight-Systems.com

propwash OAT

Do you think being in the prop wash would affect the OAT probe? It would certainly be easier to mount more inboard.

Yes, it will. It is best to mount the OAT probe in such a location that the prop wash won't affect it that much. We've mounted them about 2 ribs outboard from the wing root in the RV-10 and they are working well.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems
    Support@Advanced-Flight-Systems.com

It would certainly be easier to mount more inboard. - rwayne
    Well, in hindsight, it would be easier: if I hadn't drilled holes in my wing and mounted the probes at what seemed like a good location to me; only to much later receive a harness which is shorter than I imagined it would be. Some other legs of the harness are plenty long. At some point I find myself making decisions without all the information. If I always waited until I know everything before proceeding, I wouldn't be in these situations. But then, I probably also would never finish the project; waiting until I knew everything first.

I agree Lux, they do need to increase the length of the OAT portion of the harness. I haven't terminated mine yet but it is going to be a couple of feet too short for me - kind of a pain to have to lengthen it, especially since I don't have any of the shielded cable and will probably have to order a minimum quantity from Spruce in order to complete the installation. It is kind of annoying to pay good money for a harness and then have to splice it to make it work, when another $.79 worth of wire during manufacture would make it work without splices, which, after all are more potential failure points. Turns out the hall effect current sensor also only comes with a 30 inch lead - definitely not long enough to go from the alternator B lead to the AFS box. Just one of my pet peeves I guess...
    Highest Regards,

Noah F
    RV-7A
    Rhode Island