Thread: Partial Panel with 3 AFS PFDs/MFD for IFR checkride?

Partial Panel with 3 AFS PFDs/MFD for IFR checkride?

Hi - I'll be doing my IFR checkride in a few days, and I'm trying to figure out how to allow the examiner to create a partial panel simulation. I have a touch 5600, non-touch 5600, and a 5500. I've tried the Dim feature, but that doesn't fully black out the screen. Is there another method to, for instance, simulate a vacuum pump failure?

Cheers,
    Jeff

Recently did the ifr checkride in my rv10 3 screen afs system. Examiner was ok with allowing only map page on pfd and efis on mfd center screen. That allowed non-precision approach to be performed with “backup” instrument.
    Dave Ford
    RV10

Why would you simulate a vacuum pump failure when you don't have one?

I've done two IPCs in mine, since I've had my rating for quite some time. I was able to demonstrate how I would proceed with every failure he gave me. In my case, i would have to have a catastrophic failure of four EFIS, three ADAHRS, multiple navigation sources, and both independent electrical systems. The odds of that massive of a failure of multiple systems is pretty slim. If all that happens, I'm probably looking for the nearest flat surface to land.

If it were me, I would call the examiner and ask his opinion on how he tests component failures in a highly resilient panel design in advance. That ten minute call could save you significant grief in the air. How familiar is the examiner with multiple EFIS and their failure modes? It took me quite a while to find a CFII that was willing to fly in an experimental with an technically advanced panel. I suspect examiners are no different.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

If the examiner won't let you fly off either of the other two screens (i.e., a complete failure of the AFS components), just set the screens to display the "engine controls". That's very easy with the touch screen. Another option would be if you only have a map on a screen (no engine controls), just zoom out so far that all you see is you're little airplane icon and the rest of the state you're flying in. You really can't get any useful flight/approach information from any of those screens. At this point you're now flying on your backup EFIS (or steam gauges) and using either a remote CDI or the CDI on your NAV radio. I hope this makes sense.