Thread: AF-5000 on back-up power

AF-5000 on back-up power

I have a TCW back-up battery powering 2-AF-5000's. If I choose to power down a screen to save energy, is there a way to power it back up?

If you are wanting to power up the EFIS on back up battery alone, hold the left lower button of the unit in for 2-3 seconds, release and then wait for the boot up

EFIS Battery life

On the last couple of flights, after shutdown, Both of my 5600s are indicating low battery power (7 volts) and are shutting down.
    EFIS battery failure/end of life (2015) build?
    Thanks
    JF

Sounds to me like you may need to send the battery back to TCW for repair (3-4 years old?) but first I would check the TCW fuse (located on the side of the TCW box) even though it is probably ok since you see 7 volts. A call to TCW is what I would recommend.
    Larry

I was able to ground charge the TCW by putting a charger on my aircraft, master ON, Avionics ON.
    Shed some demand by shutting down the IFD 540, #2 radio, Auto Pilot, dimming the screens.
    As usual, the original problem was operator error; trouble shooting a map/boot up issue without putting ground power on the system.
    Map/bootup issue was also operator error....bad thumb drive data transfer.
    jf
    Last edited by jfeighny; 06-05-2019 at 02:23 PM.

Are you saying that during 2 flights the TCW battery did not recharge from aircraft charging system?

Sorry for not making that clear.
    Yes, the BU did charge during the flights.
    I have made a couple more flights, and it is back to peak power, and all seems to be normal.
    jf

Good to hear. :-)