Thread: Changing approach plates with IFD 440

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Changing approach plates with IFD 440

I have a 5400 that is linked to an IFD 440. When I load an approach on the IFD 440, the approach plates are called up on the 5400. The problem is, when I load a new airport on the IFD 440 and load an approach, the 5400 will not show approach plates for the new airport. it seems to stay "stuck" on the first airport. Here in Boise, I leave KEUL, shoot an RNAV approach at KMAN, do a missed, and then go to KBOI but the approach plate options on the 5400 stay "stuck" on KMAN. Is there an easy way to change the approach plate options?
    Thanks for an explanation.
    Paul Collins
    N8ZV

I didn’t know the IFD would cue the plates for the 5000 series, how are you getting that to happen, I don’t have that feature now, can you share settings?
    Last edited by rvdave; 04-19-2019 at 10:51 PM.
    Dave Ford
    RV10

Well, what happens is when I load an approach on the IFD440, with the Advanced Flight Systems 5400 set on CDI/GNAV1 in both sites, the first approach loaded shows up on the APPLATE view (You get there by touching set, and choosing APPLATE). I have an account with Seattle avionics to keep my plates updated on a monthly basis.
    Then, if you shoot an approach on, say, KBOI, go missed and then fly back to KEUL to shoot an approach there, I don't know how to/or somehow can't change the approach on the APPLATE view to KEUL. I am sure there is a way to do this, but so far I have not figured it out.
    As for having these approaches, what approach plate system do you use? Do you have one for your Advanced system?
    If not, then it appears that it won't transfer from the IFD440 to the AFS.
    I hope this helps a bit.
    Paul Collins
    N8ZV

Ok I see what you’re saying, I was thinking something else. I know if I select direct to an airport, then select plates on my 5600 the plates for that airport will be selectable. Do you select direct to for second airport?
    Dave Ford
    RV10

No, I have not been doing a direct flight with the AFS 5400 - I do that on the IFD440. Maybe I need to set the direct course with the AFS and see if the 440 then works with the new approach.
    Paul Collins
    N8ZV

No I set direct to on ifd then it shows up in flight plan on 5600 so it should be the airport in cue for approach plate.
    Dave Ford
    RV10

So, you start with a direct-to entry? Does that change the APPLATE display reference airport?
    Paul Collins
    N8ZV

I will have to verify if it actually switches to next airport app plate according to flight plan but know if you select direct to airport it will show up.
    Dave Ford
    RV10

I will try as well. It might be some quirk (?correct word?) on my system. We shall see.
    Thanks, and on we go,
    Paul Collins
    N8ZV

Ok, I tried it and it worked! Here is what I did to change to approach airport for the plates;
    Push D (direct)
    dial in the proper airport
    push the right knob (On the 5400)
    select APPRCH
    Make your selection of desired approach.

Try it on yours, or is this what you are already doing?
    Thanks,
    Paul Collins
    N8ZV