Thread: VOR CDI needle sensitivity

VOR CDI needle sensitivity

Hi - I've got a touch 5600 as PFD and a non-touch 5500 and non-touch 5600. I'm trying to diagnose a potential problem with the VOR antenna. I've flown with two different CFIs and we've tuned multiple VORs, and we find that the CDI needle is bouncing around too much. Obviously, it should be bouncing around when close to the VOR, but this is happening 5,10,15 miles out. By bouncing around, I mean going from 0 deflection to 4-10 degree deflection in a second or two while flying the correct radial heading. I'm taking the plane into an avionics shop next week, but wanted to try to see if there was any insight I could bring from the perspective of AFS. I'm not sure how much experience the folks at this shop have with the AFS EFIS platform (or if that's even important for an issue like this), and wanted to be in a position to provide pointers if possible. Is there any troubleshooting I can do within AFS regarding this issue? Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Are you running the latest software?

What NAV Radio are you using?

What are you using for a NAV Antenna?

Have you tried it with the lights and strobes turned off?
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

1) Didn't realize there was a 1/4/19 release. I'm currently using Vx15.01.02-MV16, but will update.
    2) GTN 650 for NAV1, Dynon AFS for NAV2
    3) Good question - not sure. Possibly Bob Archer wingtip antenna.
    4) Not yet - should those impact VOR reception?