Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4500sEE, ARINC, GNS430 (non-waas), GTX327, AFS Pilot wiring/configuration

Slobovia Outernational (MS71), 10 N of Jackson MS
    Excellent! I'll start the search for a serial out GPS puck I can use to feed the EFIS on serial #2, NMEA/ICARUS 9600 baud.

I'm going to show some more of my non-IFR-rated ignorance.

Some time back, I got the impression that with the 2nd, faster-update-rate GPS available to the EFIS, the display (especially pitch/roll info) would update faster and smoother. Assuming I got that right, does this actually get me anything when the 430 is legally required (IFR) to be doing the navigating? If so, is there any special trick to having the 430's old slow gps driving nav/approach, and the faster GPS helping the screen show me what I'm actually doing? Or is this simply a 'GNAV or GPS2; pick one' situation?

Again, pardon my Very Foolish Retarded questions.

Charlie

Only the AF-5000 has the ability to use the Dynon GPS-250 to drive the synthetic vision while following a GPS Navigator. The Pitch, Roll and Heading comes from the AHRS and has nothing to do with the GPS.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Slobovia Outernational (MS71), 10 N of Jackson MS
    Thanks Rob; I'm beginning to get a clearer idea of how it all works together.

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by larco View Post
    ... the 430 and 430W in this regard are the same. If however you want it to be part of your ADSB equipment then you would need an update to WAAS...
    I wanted to share one minor difference between a 430 and 430W if you ever decide to upgrade. We have a Sportsman that had a 430 that needed repair. Due to the Garmin flat rate pricing for repairs and the fact that an upgrade to a 430W included any repairs to the 430, we elected to go with the 430W upgrade path. The avionics dealer was nice enough to install a 430W loaner during the time that 430 was out to Garmin.

On a night fight, we turned on the panel/avionics lighting and immediately had the smell of burning electronics and some smoke. After turning off the lighting and appropriate POH procedures, the flight completed without further incident. After inspection, the source of the smell / smoke was the 430W. The avionics shop was none too happy and blamed the original panel provider with mis-wiring and wanted us to pay for the damage to the 430W. We contacted the original panel manufacturer who was quite helpful and told us that there is a known incompatibility between the 430 and 430W lighting connections. There is a Garmin publication that describes this, but he couldn't share the document since it was for dealers only.

If you do decide at some point to get a 430W, I'd suggest you get that document from Garmin as part of the upgrade. I've looked at the installation manuals and don't see any obvious difference, but perhaps that the problem that the bulletin clarifies.

Mike