Thread: GTN Series 6.5 Upgrade

GTN Series 6.5 Upgrade

With yesterday's release of the Garmin 6.5 for the GTN series of GPS, I'm assuming that the new VNAV function won't buy us anything today. My assumption is that the EFIS is only looking for VNAV data in the approach phase of flight and not the enroute phase.

I've been debating with myself if there is even value in entering altitude data into my 650. You could program your filed flight altitudes, but those are all subject to change. Part of me thinks managing altitude from the EFIS may be easier.

I'm curious as to what are AFS thoughts on this upgrade?
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Bob - I have an AF5600 connected to a GTN 650 and TruTrak auto pilot. I have not yet upgraded my GTN650 to rel 6.50 but will likely do so shortly. I am interested if you found any benefit to the new VNAV capability of the GTN. Would you mind sharing your experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by DickF View Post
    Bob - I have an AF5600 connected to a GTN 650 and TruTrak auto pilot. I have not yet upgraded my GTN650 to rel 6.50 but will likely do so shortly. I am interested if you found any benefit to the new VNAV capability of the GTN. Would you mind sharing your experiences?

To yesterday, but I haven’t put much thought or effort into it yet. I fly using a 650 flight plan, but I use the altitude bug on the EFIS. From a technical perspective I understand the advantages of entering altitudes in the flight plan. However, my experience is that it’s hard to predict what controllers may assign. I’ve found it’s easier to me just to use the bug on he EFIS.

Although I’m open to being convinced otherwise.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler