Thread: LPV glide path indicator

LPV glide path indicator

I have a GTN 650 GPS/COM connected to my AFS4500. When I tune an ILS, I can get the glide slope indicator to show up on the 4500 display, but the glide path indicator won

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Are you thinking the Flight Path Marker? This might be turned off, try EFIS -> SETTINGS -> MORE -> TARGET
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

No, not the green circle. The GPS version of the glide slope indicator.

Make sure the VLOC button on your 650 makes the CDI go from green to magenta. Also, your EFIS should show a GPS glideslope and CDI needle when the 650 is on the test page. If either of these things is not operable, please give us a call.

That’s good info. I’ll try that next time I fly and let you know.
    Update: Both tests failed. I have a feeling it is a wiring issue. I’ll double check the connections and let you know the results.
    Last edited by MarkM; 07-08-2018 at 03:31 PM.

chardks, We haven't been able to connect via telephone. Can you or someone else at AFS give me an idea where to start my troubleshooting? Attached is how I have the GTN650 and AFS4500 ARINC 429 wired together. I confirmed the connections are as they are depicted in the diagram.

Name:  IMG_2619.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  20.8 KB

What I found helpful was the ARINC diagnostic page in the 650 setup. Ken may have to tell you the label name for the glideslope. He told me once, but I don't remember them. Just ensure that you see 0's and 1's. If you see all 0's you may have an open circuit or one of the ARINC interfaces isn't working. In my case, it was the ARINC receiver in the Vizion that was dead. Also, you won't see any data on the glideslope label unless you're flying the glideslope. In the hangar, that particular label will always be 0's. But you can testing things like heading mode and some of the other functions in the hangar, which would validate basic ARINC functionality.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

On the GTN ARINC 429 IN diagnostics page, I’m getting:
    - Label field. 121, 104, 320, 314, 000, 117, etc
    - SSM field. 00 or 11
    - Data field. 1’s and 0’s
    - SDI field. Always 00

When GTN is displaying the test screen right after boot-up, the glide path indicator doesn’t get displayed on the EFIS.

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Switches in ARINC 429 signal paths never last. I would recommend rewiring and removing the switch.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com