Thread: Oil Temperature Indication -- 5800T

Oil Temperature Indication -- 5800T

Good evening,

I've got an RV-10 with a 5800T. We are having a little bit of trouble with the oil temperature indication. Normal oil temperature for the engine (Lycoming IO-540) in cruise is regulated at around 190F. As of the last few months, we have noticed that the temperature indication swings wildly between approximately 140F and 180F during straight and level flight. This is not physically possible. All other indicators with the engine are rock solid (cyl temps, egt, oil press, fuel press).

The temperature probe was replaced after we noticed the problem a few months ago. When the probe was replaced, the problem indication went away. However, it only stayed away for a few weeks and we are now seeing the erratic indications once again.

My question to support is, where is the best place to start for diagnosing the issue? Wiring, hardware, etc.?

Thanks, in advance, for your support.

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    I have also seen the issue to be ignition, alternator, and mag issues. Normally oil temperature issues are ground issue. Some customers add hose clamp with a ground wire to the sensors and run that back to their engine ground firewall connection point.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com