Thread: Temperature measurement

Temperature measurement

I would like to hook a J or K type thermocouple to the Dynon EMS to monitor my EarthX battery temperature. The battery is located on the firewall in the standard location for a Vans RV-7.

1. May I use the carb temp pin 4 and rename the device to battery heat? Renaming it seems easy but the process is not covered in the documentation that I have found.

2. I also have pins 10, 12, 28 and 29 available. Would one of those be better suited?

The documentation discusses using the three general purpose inputs but the discuss is only about MNO or MNC switches, not thermocouples.

Thanks

Scott

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    27 and 28 are TIT 1. So you could hook up an ungrounded J type thermocouple and setup the TIT input to read the range of the battery temperature. You will need to change your Aircraft Info -> Engine Type to have XCYL_1TURBO to display the reading.

You could also use Carb Temp or Coolant Temp with different sensors.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn McGinnis View Post

You could also use Carb Temp or Coolant Temp with different sensors.
    Is it possible to rename the carb temp label that is displayed on the engine screen? I am using it to monitor the battery temp of my EarthX battery, so Batt Temp would be ideal.

Thank you.

Scott

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Not at the moment but it is currently a planned feature.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Bump... Any progress on this item?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn McGinnis View Post
    Not at the moment but it is currently a planned feature.
    I too would like to use the carb temp to monitor the EarthX battery temp. Is there anyway we can get this moved up the priority list? It doesn't seem like a very hard software upgrade. Also, is there a particular probe that would work well in this application? Maybe the Dynon OAT probe? (https://dynonavionics.com/oat-probe-flightdek.php). I'm thinking I would just tape it to the top of the battery with some aluminum tape. Thoughts?

would also be interested on an editable temperature sensor name