Thread: Filtering Traffic as to altitude and distance

Largo, FL, Based at Clearwater Airpark KCLW

Filtering Traffic as to altitude and distance

AFS 5600T, and uAvionix Echo and SkyFx, "sniffing" G327 TXP ---- I would like to be able to filter the traffic targets by altitude (i.e. +/- 3000ft), and distance ( radius 5 mile, 10 mile, etc.) --- is this possible with the current system?

Other than that, I get clean reports from the FAA on my system.

Ron

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    This is not a current feature of the display. Let's see if filtering gets some traction from other users and we could add it as a feature.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn McGinnis View Post
    This is not a current feature of the display. Let's see if filtering gets some traction from other users and we could add it as a feature.
    I would be interested in the feature for a user configurable filter setting for both horizontal and vertical distances. There are times when I would like to relax the current filter settings. I suspect that the only potential issues would be that the pilot would have to be cognizant of typical traffic in their geographic area. i.e. flying the lakeshore vfr transition in Chicago when O'Hare and Midway are landing to the southwest.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

I'm using a GTX345 to send traffic to my screen. It cuts it down to the closest 32 and it could still be overwhelming sometimes. Here's an example screenshot:

I originally installed the Echo, and quickly got rid of it. It's simply ruthless, it sends everything it can see, the traffic targets are not even sorted by distance, and includes even airliners at 36,000ft. Like Bob & Ron suggested it would be nice to have both distance and altitude filters. I'm in South Florida, sometimes we have so much traffic that the Echo uses up two cycles (two seconds) to send one batch of traffic. That doesn't exactly comply with GDL90 specs, but that's another discussion...

Lenny

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    So the first level of filtering, sorting, etc always happens in the receiver. What you are probably seeing is two different reporting towers data being returned in the two cycles.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com