Thread: Transponder to altitude

Transponder to altitude

Is it possible to get auto switching for transponder to alt from standby? I have Dynon 261, not sure if that feature is available ?
    Dave Ford
    RV10

Quote Originally Posted by rvdave View Post
    Is it possible to get auto switching for transponder to alt from standby? I have Dynon 261, not sure if that feature is available ?

I just installed a 261, but haven’t had a chance to fly yet due to all the weather we’ve had recently. As you can see, there is an auto button on the interface. I’d have to go read the manual to see what triggers the auto switch.

Name:  2EE13603-781A-443A-BE18-DBF1E5E18995.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  23.9 KB
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Interesting thing about the auto function. I have 5600 with SV-261 and 2020 GPS. If plane is in hangar with marginal GPS signals the auto function may shift from GND to ALT erratically. Also on the SYN VISION the display will be a little jumpy as if the aircraft position is changing. I suspect this is because the 2020 GPS may require a higher level of signal input to output reliable data to the Mode S transponder. Other GPS units in the aircraft do not display this behavior, they give a lat/lon position in the hangar but of a lower quality. Of course out of the hangar all is normal and the unit reliably switches from GND to ALT after Liftoff. Another difference is that the SV-261 transmit indication rate is greatly increased in comparison to the MODE A/C transponder because the Mode S is not only replying to ground radar interrogations but also to other ADS-B out equipped aircraft.

Ok I will have to try the auto mode-that may be too simple.
    Dave Ford
    RV10

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Auto switching is controlled in the Transponder setup page of calibration. Though the only setting most customers should use ALT/GND Switch: AIRDATA.

The transponder is required to switch to ALT mode when GPS is invalid.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Changed settings in set up for the transponder and can confirm it now switches to altitude in the air and to ground after landing.
    Dave Ford
    RV10