Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ADS-B for 4500

ADS-B for 4500

Hello,

What is the preferred box for installing ADS-B to work with the AF-4500? I see this page: http://www.advanced-flight-systems.c...port/adsb.html But the boxes mentioned seem to only support 978mhz.

Any plans to support the GTX-335 or the GDL-39 3d?

Also, what's the status with the older ARM based units? Any possibility of adding support for more ADS-B boxes? I know you guys are more focusing on your x86 boxes, but it would be great to get some ADS-B updates for us ARM peeps.

Thanks!
    schu

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Any of the modern ADS-B solutions with GDL-90 output (Pathfinder, Freeflight, Stratux, echoUAT, etc..) will work with the AF-4500. Use serial 1 or 3 at 115K for best results.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

add to that list flight data systems pathfinder remote
    only draw back it is only single band receiver (UAT)
    alan

So looking around, I don't see anyone really describing what protocol they use, so it's hard to figure out which boxes work. Seems like people are really only interested in wifi.

So can you be more descriptive in your message?

I know that the navworx ADS600-B box works, but it's 978mhz out only.
    The freelight box is $4000 and is also 978mzh only http://www.freeflightsystems.com/pro...gr-transmitter
    I can't find any GDL-90 serial output on anything from Stratus, which box are you talking about?
    Ping, is that from uavionix? The ping station or ping usb? The usb one looks like it emulates a serial port over usb, will that work on the AF4500? I can't find anywhere where it says the serial protocol is GDL-90.

What I really would like is a 1090mhz transceiver, with GDL-90 output and wifi, and I don't see such a thing.

Thanks for the help,
    schu

Right now your best option for a dual band receiver for a 4500 would then be a DIY with Stratux or echoUAT from uAvionix.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn McGinnis View Post
    Right now your best option for a dual band receiver for a 4500 would then be a DIY with Stratux or echoUAT from uAvionix.
    So if I want dual band-in and 1090ES out, then I pretty much need to buy a Stratus ES, or a Garmin 330ES, or some other 1090ES box, then a separate box for ads-b in that outputs GDL-90 like an echo UAT or stratux.

Or if I'm cool with 978mhz UAT, then just add the echoUAT to my mode C and call it good. Did I get that right?

My concern is that I'm going to be flying through canada, and if I'm going to spend the money, might as well get the better solution...

Thanks,
    schu

Any possibility of the dynon box(es) being supported by the AF4500?

Nothing else on the market at this point. You are correct on your previous comments.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems

uAvionix

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn McGinnis View Post
    Nothing else on the market at this point. You are correct on your previous comments.
    Has anyone looked into the uAvionix echo? I saw it at Copperstate this past weekend. It's supposed to be both ADSB- in and out. It uses your existing GPS antenae and it will display on an I-pad and our AFS 4500's.

Quote Originally Posted by velo1 View Post
    Has anyone looked into the uAvionix echo? I saw it at Copperstate this past weekend. It's supposed to be both ADSB- in and out. It uses your existing GPS antenae and it will display on an I-pad and our AFS 4500's.
    I installed the Echo to replace the NavWorx, which was wired into my 5600. I used the the existing wiring and the Echo "worked" right out of the box. However, I'm not sure the 5600 is parsing the relative altitude information correctly as the 5600 displays the traffic's relative altitude as 3 digits with no decimal point. I have only flown once with the Echo and haven't had access to the plane since. I hope to fly this weekend and will try to get a better handle on the indication.