Thread: Auto Tuning VLOC approach course no longer working after upgrade

Auto Tuning VLOC approach course no longer working after upgrade

Hello, i upgraded my AFS 5600 this weekend to the January 30th release. During a test flight i noted that my IDF 440 was having problems auto tuning to the correct approach course when switching over from GPS to VLOC on an ILS approach. For example, when flying the ILS 27 into KCYS the approach course normally auto tunes to 265, but on this occasion it was switching to 150 and i had to manually set the course. I flew the approach a second time and saw the exact same behavior. Then flew an ILS 33 into KFNL and had the same problem. When flying these same approaches several weeks back, i did not see this issue. My only changes between now and then was the AFS upgrade. I am fairly new to the IDF 440 and I am still learning how to use it... so, could totally be an issue on my end. Thoughts?
    Last edited by jrouault; 02-06-2017 at 08:37 AM.

I am having exactly the same problem after the upgrade. It sets the inbound final approach course incorrectly with the turn inbound. (My correct inbound course was 249 while the I set the correct course then it periodically (every few minutes) resets to the wrong final approach course (keeps using the same incorrect course) it then sounds a loud tone alarm every 3 seconds and indicates a warning box ("set correct ILS inbound course".) It flies the initial phases of the approach fine (correct courses indicated), just the final approach course. When vectors to final are activated it starts immediately. I have my 5600 linked to a GTN 650. The Garmin indicates the correct course the entire time. The AP will follow the incorrect indication and it makes hand flying the approach difficult.

sounds dangerous. on the 4500 you have manually put in the course. as long as i all is fine (its on my ILS approach checklist).
    I asked Rob about this years ago and I can't remember why he said it couldn't put the ILS course in automatically like it does with GPS approaches. I fly with a Garmin 430W.

Alan

I'm having similar experiences where the Vloc approach course is not being auromatically tuned. My AF5600 is being driven by a GTN650. Is this a change or something that will be fixed?

Ken Chard provided me with a software update which upon my initial testing appears to have corrected the problem with auto-tuning the inbound course. I plan to fly some more approaches to tomorrow. I suspect AFS will make general availability release with this patch soon.

Fix verified. I flew several more ILS approaches today and each time auto-tuning correctly set the approach course.

I've got the same problem. Will ask Ken for a fix.

Thanks.
    John Kazickas
    Sands Point, NY
    Glasair Sportsman N9GZ

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Software update has been as of 2/20/2017
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Shawn

We're seeing this (or at least a very similar issue) on a 5600 unit (OS-1, non-touch) running the January 9 firmware update. Does the fix in the 2/20 update need to be ported to the OS-1 units as well?

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Yes, they will need to port the update for the OS1 users.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com