Thread: 4500+Vizion385 aggressive intercept

Question 4500+Vizion385 aggressive intercept

I've recently installed the ARINC module to allow the 4500s screen to command the autopilot (Vizion 385). I do not have an IFR navigator, so I just use the 4500 internal flightplan. I'm learning how to best utilize this combo, and one odd thing I've noticed is that the course intercept angle when selecting L:NAV mode is very aggressive; I was expecting 30* or so, but I've seen more like 80*. Is there a setting somewhere I can tweak to adjust this? I've taken to intercepting a course manually, or in L:HDG mode, and only switching to L:NAV after the CDI centers, or hitting "D-> / GOTO / YES" to redraw from the current position if airspace allows.
    --
    Joshua Wyatt
    RV-9A N627DW @ KRST - Flying
    4500sEE + 4500sMFD | Stratux Dual-Band, GTN650Xi

Quote Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post
    I've recently installed the ARINC module to allow the 4500s screen to command the autopilot (Vizion 385). I do not have an IFR navigator, so I just use the 4500 internal flightplan. I'm learning how to best utilize this combo, and one odd thing I've noticed is that the course intercept angle when selecting L:NAV mode is very aggressive; I was expecting 30* or so, but I've seen more like 80*. Is there a setting somewhere I can tweak to adjust this? I've taken to intercepting a course manually, or in L:HDG mode, and only switching to L:NAV after the CDI centers, or hitting "D-> / GOTO / YES" to redraw from the current position if airspace allows.
    Having just gone through all of this with my recent upgrade to the 385, I have some comments.

Use Rob's default settings as a starting point.

Fly with the AP in track mode. Manually turn the knob left and right 90 degrees. Adjust until the turns stop about 1 degree from the intended course. Watch the vertical during the turns to ensure a stable altitude. I was able to dial in the turns spot on, but not the altitude, but I got it close.

Then repeat the same tasks, except have the EFIS in heading and altitude mode. Turn the heading bug and make the EFIS setting adjustments until you get the desired results.

If you turn some of the gains up too high, you will get some very aggressive maneuvers.

Also, on the 385, make sure you set the altimeter setting before every flight. It's not a big deal with the EFIS in control, but your altitude will be off if you're in AP mode only.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Quote Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
    Use Rob's default settings as a starting point.
    Bob, Rob, or others -- can anyone post their working EFIS and AP gain settings for use as a starting point? I recall there being another post in this thread with settings & suggestions when I last saw it before these forums went offline for awhile, and now I'd like to dig back into this and fiddle with the parameters.

Thanks!
    --
    Joshua Wyatt
    RV-9A N627DW @ KRST - Flying
    4500sEE + 4500sMFD | Stratux Dual-Band, GTN650Xi

Quote Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post
    Bob, Rob, or others -- can anyone post their working EFIS and AP gain settings for use as a starting point? I recall there being another post in this thread with settings & suggestions when I last saw it before these forums went offline for awhile, and now I'd like to dig back into this and fiddle with the parameters.

Thanks!
    They are in the installation manual for the 4500s.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler