Thread: Non-existent TFRs being displayed

Non-existent TFRs being displayed

Curious if anybody else is seeing, what seems to be, non-existent TFRs on their 4500's. I think I first ran into this shortly after upgrading the 4500's firmware from 8.8.31 to 8.8.35 and the NavWorx to UAT Console 4.0.9 in September 2016. In October 2016, I took a XC from Austin, TX to Indianapolis, IN and ran into one of these and queried ATC and they had no record of the TFR. Nevertheless, I went around it to be on the safe side.

Was out yesterday and took a couple of pics while in the Austin, TX area. Prior to departure yesterday, I checked for TFRs, and the only one in the area was in Waco, TX (about 100 miles north) for an airshow. Equipment in use is a single 4500EE w/ firmware 8.8.35 and a NavWorx ADS600-B w/ UAT Console 4.1.0. Connection is by way of an RS-232 serial line.

In the first pic, this TFR has been pretty persistent for quite some time.

In the second pic, I don't recall seeing these before.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
    /\/elson

Name:  IMG_1876.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  85.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1877.jpg
Views: 1260
Size:  79.3 KB

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    The yellow dashed airspaces are para drop zones.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Hi Shawn,

Thanks! That's a relief knowing what they really are. Contributing to my confusion was that non-active TFRs are also yellow and the effective height labels associated with each drop zone.

I've identified the drop zones from the 2nd picture above on the sectional picture below. Two questions pertaining to the EFIS's display of the drop zones (I looked in the 4500's manual, v7.4, and there was no mention that I could find):

1 - What's the difference between segmented vs solid circle?

2 - How come one shows up as 155/SFC and the other as 15 AGL/SFC?

Attachment 379

Thank you,
    /\/elson
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It looks solid because of your zoom level.

The airspace is defined by the FAA's Facility Aeronautical Data Distribution System:
    BLACKWELL 1500AGL
    LEXINGTON AIRFIELD 15500MSL
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems

I have noticed a lot of these lately. I have a friend that uses Garmin G3X displays. He moves a pointer via a joystick to the yellow dashed circle to get a discription of the symbol. He feels I must have the capability to do that on my AFS 4500s. I have checked the manual and have been unable to find any reference to moving a pointer via a joystick. Am I missing something? I have the latest AFS software and a NavWorx ads-600b that complies with the AD by using a Garmin 650 as the GPS source.

The knob on the bottom right is actually a joy stick. You can move the cursor to put it on airports, airspaces, etc, then push the knob, and a screen will pop up to show things like metars, notam info, etc.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Quote Originally Posted by kelleyclark View Post
    ...moves a pointer via a joystick to the yellow dashed circle to get a description...
    Airspace selection is a feature in the AF-5000 series displays that the AF-4500 doesn't have.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems